Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to disguise a hole in a hedge

Posted by enmnm 7 (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 14:52

We have a juniper hedge in our front lawn. One bush died and I tried to replace it with the same, but I (in my ignorance) bought the wrong variety, one that is more of a groundcover than a bush. The hedge faces full west and gets a lot of sun, except for the place where the bush died--it is directly under a dogwood is forever shaded.

Is there any way to work around this gap? Everyone says to replace the entire hedge, but no one here wants to do that. Is there any work around? This only needs to last 5 years, then we're outta here. The hole is about 3 feet wide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to disguise a hole in a hedge

From yard

o

Just add a piece of taller garden art (obelisk, gazing ball with pedestal, etc) amongst the shrubbery there, using the dogwood as a backdrop to set off the piece. You could then take it with you when you move from the property.

o

Or place a bench in the hole?

o

OK, you slipped up by buying the wrong Juniper and got a ground cover type. Why not return to garden center and look for one that is good to keep at 3' to 4' ht. ...? Try for similar color and habit. Even if you don't get a perfect match, it will be good enough to get by with. Better than having a hole or an object you don't want. I know it's already been mentioned in the other thread, but as a reminder, don't allow Dogwood limbs to be so low over the Junipers. There's no reason for it and bad things can happen if you do.

o

IMO, I think the break of all that green is nice. Obviously IRL it looks like a hole needing something. Have you considered a Hydrangea. They grown wonderfully. Being in zone 7 I'm sure you have a multitude of flowering bushes to choose from. I think this will be a blessing in disguise.

o

What about a picket fence with a 2" x 6" across the top?

o

I agree with most of the posters here. You should make it a focal point

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here