Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Side backyard idea

Posted by Calmfoursome Canada (My Page) on
Fri, May 16, 14 at 14:54

Hello

First time poster here...

Hoping for some ideas on DIY ideas to address side of yard.

The ac is rather permanent but everthing else is wide open to ideas. The main problem is slope of grade from patio concrete to fence. I want to avoid a retainjng wall/curbs along the fence if possible. One idea was to use thick flagstone that will allow me to work with slope.

I also would like to raise the grade but given the slight slope, im not sure what to use that would be somewhat permanent and nit erode with elements etc

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Side backyard idea

Don't forget to state what your objectives to this project are. WHY are you doing this? (We don't know whether it's for more seating or for more planting, or what.)

o

Good point. There is no planting intention as I have a large flowerbed (not in picture) along the opposite end of the backyard. It would be nice to position a BBQ (probably on the side closest to patio).

Having said that I'm not opposed to low maintenance plants/trees to complement and beautify the area.

Also of note is that I want to ensure that there is some hardscape (whether it's patio slabs or flagstone etc) up along the patio side as I want to avoid burrowing underneath the patio by wildlife (something we've dealt with in the past)

o

It would be nice to position a BBQ (probably on the side closest to patio)." That's it? Just a place to place a grill? How will you access it with that fence? No additional seating or anything?

o

I would rather plant some bushes and other things there to screen the AC and buffer the noise some. Maybe something tall to screen the view from your neighbors too.

I also wonder about putting the BBQ there. Were you planning on opening the fence up to easily get to it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here