Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlyrkb

Need Front House Advice

kimberlyrkb
17 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I am working on curb appeal this spring and would like some design help, if anyone has ideas.

This is the ugly front of the house we just bought. I want to move the bulbs and perennials from the front strip garden and replace them with something more fitting, maybe some shrubs and/or taller perennials. The space is about 24 feet long and only 2 feet wide. (Unfortunately, with all the other projects in the hopper, we do not have time or money in the budget to do a major overhaul - I would eventually like to rip out the front walk and completely reconfigure the area and install a real porch.)

Does anyone have any design idea suggestions?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Kimberly

{{gwi:31043}}

{{gwi:31044}}

{{gwi:31045}}

Comments (9)

• deeje
    17 years ago

Sorry, but I can't think of a single thing larger which will fit in a 2' wide space. It's a shame that they built those stairs to the entry so close to the house.

I'd go with small-scale annuals and keep the bulbs and things in until you can re-do the area.

• agardenstateof_mind
    17 years ago

It is too bad they left such a narrow space in which to plant, but I think you do have a few interesting options.

There are some tall, narrow evergreens - "Sky Pencil" is one - check to see what is hardy in your area. Trellises and quick-growing annual vines can be a lifesaver here - they should soften that solid wall and give the eyes something else to focus on ... wrap them around the windows if you like that effect. You can intersperse some annuals in among those bulbs or go with perennials - there are lots of perennials that won't mind being moved when you get around to building that front porch. Daylilies come to mind first, irises, candytuft - that last one is evergreen, and the bulbs will come up through it just fine. Any of those would, in time, outgrow that space, but by then they might be ready for division and you'll be working on the porch and can simply move your them to a new spot in the yard. Besides, I like it when some of the plants overhang the edge of the walk just a bit to soften things.

I would also create a bed in front of the porch to soften it, after adding some lattice panels or something first. I'd have the bed extend partway along the walk so it is on both sides as you approach the steps. Definitely repeat some of the plantings for cohesiveness.

Looks like you've got a nice sunny spot to work with. Good luck in your new home!

Di

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Do you have a photo of the whole front at once?

There are small shrubs like Lavender, Caryopteris, Potentilla, dwarf evergreens, that you could use in that area for the time being. Later, if you move the walk or make other changes, the plants can be easily moved to another bed.

There may be something you can do on the street side of the walk, rather than limiting your efforts to this very narrow space.

• gardenscout
    17 years ago

I am thinking trellis for the thin strip, then focus your attention to the other side of the sidewalk and in front of the stairs. Dress it with shrubs just as you would a foundation planting. A nice wide bed and full sun will give you plenty of options.

• plantman314
    17 years ago

I would not use Ilex crenata in your area. There is good chance you would have severe winterburn.

I would suggest a mix of perennials, possibly ornamental grasses, that will have some winter interest. Boxwood 'Graham Blandy' would be a good option for a narrow evergreen that would add height.

Also, I would add a bed on the other side of the walk. Curve the edges, and help breakup the formality of the walk. Use a pyramidal for height at the start of the walk, and a specimen plant by the stairs to draw the eye to the entrance of the house.

• isabella__MA
    17 years ago

A curb view photo would provide more of the big-picture of what you have to work with. If you have more space to work with on the other side of the walkway, then that may change recommendations provided for the small foundation planting space shown.

My first impression of this photo was that this was a side entrance, so you are right it defintely needs to be jazzed up. All of the grey (siding, concrete, and grey trim)features need more color.

Non-planting recommendations are window trim moulding and shutters. Shutters even if not functional allow are a means to add color and shape to a plain wall. Add facing to the exposed stair risers.

• kimberlyrkb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the ideas! I like the idea of planting on the *other* side of the walk, however, that is a pretty steep slope, so it'll take a bit of finagling. I know it can be done, though, so I'll have to get on it. I also really like the idea of something climbing the side of the garage - I've seen some really nice trellises that might work.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide a full front view of the house. Right across from the front door is a row of large trees shielding the front of our house from the street - it's impossible to get a curb view.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help!

Kimberly

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Unless you plan on removing those trees, a photo from across the street that includes them would make more sense, because whatever you add will have to work with them.

• barefootinct
    17 years ago

I say go with trellises (trellisi?) (the plural of trellis). I don't know anything about this specifically, but espaliering but that might work.

Patty

Here is a link that might be useful: article with espalier