Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdas_gw

Help with front bed

rdas
9 years ago

Hello all, I'm new to landscaping and hoping to minimize the mistakes I make on my front bed. As you can see from the pictures all I have are 4 ilex, a japanese maple, a lipan crape myrtle and some liriope. The side of the house has endless summer hydrangea. I am going to move the liriope to follow the bed and am thinking of adding 5-7 dwarf white azalea to fill in the bed in a kind of "s" pattern. I was also thinkng of walkers low catmint under the crape myrtle. I'm not sure if this is a good start or not? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Also the lipan crape myrtle is light lavender so id like to keep the color scheme pretty simple with whites and purples.

Comments (11)

• rdas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wanted to share another picture I couldn't figure out how to post two !

• grapevinegal
    9 years ago

Hi rdas,

Beautiful home!
    What zone are you in? Until I know..please consider these suggestions with the grain on salt.

1. Since the Holly and the Azalea both have delicate leafs I would look for something with a bold leaf. This will add some textural contrast. Since you'll be using white azaleas, I'd suggest putting Hosta "Anne" in front of the azaleas. With it's colorful leaves- would tie in colors and add texture.

2) To make your entry "pop", I'd suggest using a bright green low growing plant underneath the Japanese Maple.
    ex: creeping sedum, creeping Jenny
    See Photo Below

Hope that helps

• rdas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much. I'm in zone 7. I'm not tied to azaleas, but I'm trying it seems like every neighbor of mine has azaleas so I know they will do well ;). I love the idea of something under the japanese maple - I'm looking up the dlowers you suggested - thank you so much!!!

• grapevinegal
    9 years ago

Hi!

Zone 7...so many options!

Firstly, if they have filled out enough. You might consider pruning them like this photo. I feel that you have a very elegant style and this shape would be fitting.

Also, take note of the heights of the plants in this photo. Your Holly don;t look very tall so make sure any Azalea you choose will remain shorter than the Hollys behind them.

• grapevinegal
    9 years ago

My apologies for so many posts...but I can only do 1 photo per post. Hopefully some truly trained landscape pros will chime in and give you even more direction.

This would be a lovely option for under you Japanese Maple that would also highlight the entry.
    These are evergreens called "Table Top" Juniper. The others on the photo are a variety of Huechera.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

If featuring the entrance to your home is a goal, I can't really see that the bed itself is properly shaped or that plantings are well arranged. It is much more likely that the plantings will OBSTRUCT the entrance as they grow in. For example, what is it going to look like when the Japanese Maple is a 5' tall and wide solid ball? The crape myrtle is decently positioned. It would be much better to build up any height in that vicinity and keep plantings in front of the entrance very low.

• grapevinegal
    9 years ago

Yardvark,

Finally, a pro chimes in:)
    Out of curiosity, where would you move the Japanese Maple?
    Would that be the starting point from which to build height?

Thanks,
    Sharron

• rdas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yardvaark ugh your right. I've been keeping the tree pruned small and has planned to continue to prune it. I'm hoping that works. Why don't you feel the bed is shaped right? Is it too big? Any advice helps

• rdas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yardvaark ugh your right. I've been keeping the tree pruned small and has planned to continue to prune it. I'm hoping that works. Why don't you feel the bed is shaped right? Is it too big? Any advice helps

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Sharon, I would move the Jap Maple to the side so that it's size won't block entrance, but instead will screen from next door neighbor.

Rdas, unless you plant something less than a few inches tall in front of the entrance walk, it's going to look like an impediment. (Would you set a piece of furniture in front of a pathway indoors for no purpose other than to visually block that path?) If you're trying to plant in order to draw attention to the entrance, plant to the side of it with something colorful ... but low. Don't worry. People are going to see it if it is appropriately sized. Sure, you could trim it small ... but is that a good idea to plant something that gets much larger if you want something small? Yet you need taller things toward the side in order to provide some separation (visual and physical) from the neighboring house.

• Casey60
    9 years ago

I like purple or blue scabiosa for a low growing perinial borderish plant behind liarope