Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscape Help

Posted by smithcm Pennsylvania (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 11 at 16:10

I have a backyard that is about a 1/2 acre by an acre. To the northeast there are 3 small vegetable gardens. To the north is my home and a patio. The rest of the yard is just all grass except for a young zelkova right in the middle of my yard. Does anyone have any landscaping ideas? Especially to help with the tree right in the middle of the yard? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscape Help

Oh oh let's be pedantic: an acre is a measurement of area meaning that half an acre by an acre is a meaningless formula.

o

An acre is 43,560 square feet. A perfectly square acre would be about 208' 8.5" on each side.

===

What do you want to do in the backyard? Would you like to plant more trees to shade the house and/or the patio/deck? Are there views you'd like to block? Is there an ugly fence you'd like to hide?

Grass is plain ... sometimes boring. It can be very satisfying if it's weedless, thick, and well-mown (it helps to have a level yard: ask me how I know that). But overall grass is simple to care for, and takes up less of your time than most other alternatives.

Are there plants or trees you particularly like? You already have veggies: how do you feel about berry bushes or fruit trees?

===

The zelkova belongs to you. If it's in a bad location, if it's a bad shape, if you prefer a red maple or a dogwood or a dawn redwood, if you just plain don't like it, you can cut it down. I give you permission.

-- mto the tree-killer
3 silver maples (got the third just this noon)
3 black locusts
1 Leyland cypress
and literally countless young autumn olive, Bradford pear, and weeping cherry trees
plus 1 white mulberry

o

I think the question must be some kind of joke. Name of Smith, just joined GW today, asks questions that's almost impossible to answer without more info, and gives vague measurements. Nothing helpful in the post, so he/she must not be expecting us to take it seriously.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here