Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jubilante

Water Feature

jubilante
11 years ago

We will be building a small courtyard wall to divide our frontyard patio from the rest of the yard. The area off the main walkway to the house, near the patio/courtyard entry seems perfect for a water feature or bird bath.

I really like the natural looking "pondless" fountains, but now realize if the wall is built, I would not be able to see the feature or enjoy the birds in it from the house.

I wonder if it is possible to build the feature as part of the wall so it is open to both sides. Has anyone seen anything like this? Maybe as the wall's endpoint pillar, if that makes sense.

Any pictures? Or ideas? I need some inspiration, but mostly just find walls with water spouts going into a trough below. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• designoline6
    11 years ago

I prefer add my ideas and pictures on your photos.
    You could post some pics that show the context and situated and conditions.
    first upload photo to any photo-hosting site.Photobucket and Flickr are examples . While at that photo on the site,
    look for a link to "share." Then look for a way of obtaining "html code" (don't select the thumbnail version.)
    Copy that code and paste it directly into your message here.

• inkognito
    11 years ago

This sounds like an interesting project. Is there no one local that would take this on? Michelle (deviant deziner) has some pictures here and on her web-site than may serve as inspiration. She may even jump in here unless this 'designonline' nonsense takes hold.

• deviant-deziner
    11 years ago

the style of your architecture and the wall materials are going to have great influence on the overall finished look of the fountain.

Bold and modern ?
    Spanish colonial ?
    Traditional formal ?

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for this fountain that was designed by Bay Area designer David Feix for a Spanish style home.
    {{gwi:31594}}From david's garden photos

Inspired by this design a two sided open fountain could be explored :
    {{gwi:31595}}From Last Import

Or if you are going more modern something like this could be modified to work in both viewing directions :
    {{gwi:31596}}From R E D

{{gwi:31597}}From R E D

More on the traditional style with a twist of fun, this Vancouver garden trough could be bookend by a lovely rock wall and the spouts set perpendicular to one another. {{gwi:31598}}From Vancouver

And I am always in awe of the fountain work that Cevan Forristt does.
    His website is a wealth of inspiration. http://www.forristt.com/

• inkognito
    11 years ago

Marvelous Michelle, I knew this would be right up your street perhaps the OP will provide some feed back but if not thank you for inspiring me.

• designoline6
    11 years ago

I like Canada,but the forum ignore any discourteousness.So that forum is more popular now.

• deviant-deziner
    11 years ago

Tony,
    Thank you for your kind words. As always, I look forward to your posts and participation on this forum. I appreciate your sense of humor and the civility that you bring.

Designoline,
    I like Canada too. I visited the country last year and was welcomed by some of the worlds most passionate and talented gardeners and wonderfully talented landscape designers.
    I'm sorry if you have experienced any disrepect. Canadians have earned the reputation as being one of the most polite societies anywhere on earth.
    There must of been a communication breakdown.
    I admit that I sometimes do not fully understand your replies, but I have to say that your abundant enthusiasm for design certainly shows in your computer sketches.

As some of us say in the United States : It's the quality that counts not the quantity.
    Keep creative .

• jubilante
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the nudges, the ideas are starting to percolate!

I am continually amazed at the depth of knowledge and amazing creativity that is shared so freely on this forum. It is very much appreciated! Thanks again.

• melvalena
    11 years ago

Here's a link to one of Michelle (deviant deziner)'s photos that I really like.

Here is a link that might be useful: foutain in a wall

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Michelle ... I really like that paving in the last photo.

• deviant-deziner
    11 years ago

lazygardens,
    I'm in agreement, very much like the paving. - Actually the whole garden had some very interesting elements.
    {{gwi:31600}}From Vancouver