Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn grass/ground cover

Posted by lylesg1 Georgia (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 16:15

Hi, My name is Lyle and I am new to this group. I am glad I found this forum, too.
I have a question that I hope someone can shed light on.

I have an area along the front (northern) side of my house that will get approx. 6-8 hours of direct sunlight each day during spring and summer months. The area I am working with is 10'X30'. I want to first cover this area with a good quality black plastic and then top coat the plastic with approximately 4-6" of soil. Is there a lawn grass, or ground cover that I can plant in that amount of soil thickness that will survive year round?

My problem is water seeping into my basement in that area. I removed the shrubs from the space and I compacted additional soil sloping it away from my house for approx. 10' out and then covered that area with plastic and I have solved my water seepage into basement issue. But, I now want to leave the plastic and cover it with grass/ground cover if feasible.

Any ideas from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lyle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn grass/ground cover

This would be a highly unconventional solution to the problem and you will be thought poorly of by a future owner of the home. Embedding plastic sheeting under several inches of soil would be a real pain to undo later. Are you sure you have not corrected the problem just by regrading the soil so that it slopes away from the house? I would double check this first as you may have no need for plastic at all.

o

Hi Yardvaark, Perhaps I have solved the leak issue by already sloping and packing new soil directed away from the house. Also, I intend to bury a 4" dia drain for the gutter run-off and perhaps beside that drain pipe do you think a French drain would be a good idea? Put both drain pipes in the same ditch. I was thinking of burying it along side the concrete walk.

Lyle

o

It is better, if at all possible, to drain the water at the surface than to put it into a buried pipe--which will be additional maintenance and can cause problems later... as well as not protect you from flooding in a major rain. You haven't made a case for needing underground drainage. If you're adding it just because you're trying to throw money at a problem, it's not a good idea. In most cases, you should only use underground drainage if the water has no other possible way to escape and leave your property.

o

After considering what both you and Carl have posted, I think that I will now remove the tarp and add a couple more inches of soil increasing the slop away from the house even more than it is now. In the past the concrete side walk seems to have been a barrier helping trap water between it and the house. But, that was before I filled the old shrub holes and added additional slope. I will see how that works out and it would be great if nothing additional is needed. My water supply line is at the beginning of the picture approx. 2' below grade and in the past water has seeped in there. I may have to give that area additional attention after removing the tarp.

o

Good luck. It would be great if slope alone solves your problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here