Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Backyard Design Projects (pics)

Posted by smileyhappyfun zone 5/5b (My Page) on
Wed, May 12, 10 at 16:20

Hi -
I posted another message that I will delete as soon as I get pics loaded to this post. I wanted to start a new post, because we have changed the scope of our backyard project. Next week, I have 2 strong helpers coming to help me:

1) Do "something" with this hump in our backyard
2) Do "something" with the hose area in our backyard
3) Do "something" along our fence

If you remember from my original post, I am trying to get rid of the "rock" feel in our backyard. We have artifical turf in the middle of our [very small] yard and river rocks all around it. We did this because we couldn't keep up on our grass with our two large dogs, so it got us through. Now, we want to add more color & interest in our back. I'd like to start with the "hump" and the "hose area".

HUMP AREA: My idea for the hump is to figure out a way to build a mini retaining wall and put mulch & plants in there to build a colorful area. Though I have no idea how to build a wall or what to put in there.

HOSE AREA: I need something that I can walk on to turn on the hose easily. I was wondering if laying flagstone is easier in mulch or dirctly on the ground, or if there are other options.

I'd like to plant clemantis or honeysuckle along the fence.

I have absolutely no idea what I am doing, I've just been searching sites to get ideas, but don't know what is best to do. We want LOW-LOW-LOW mainenance, but need color badly.

Any advice you can provide is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Backyard Design Projects (pics)

posting the pics ...

Here is a link that might be useful: backyard on Picasa

o
can you see this (pics)

I have been trying for days to get my pictures out here! Hoepfully this works!

o
Where we live

We live in CO and our backyard faces south, so we get tons of very hot sun back here.

Also, last year when we had the fake grass installed they did all the leveling for drainage (we live sideways on a hill) - the little river area in the back works great for drainage, water runs right though it - but I'd like it to show up more distinctive and decorative than blending in with everything else.

We will also put an evergreen in the back right corner later this year, or next spring if the lilac I have there doesn't grow.

o

What do you mean by "but need color badly"?

o

I mean, when I look at our yard, all I see is ROCK. So I was thinking of adding some mulch around the plantings we have, and on the hump. Then also adding some more plants (on the hump now, then elsewhere later once I know what I'm doing). I'd like to see more green and more "life". Does that make sense?

o

Hey
Did you ever think of adding on a great looking Gazebo to your property. Friends of mine opted to remove their unsightly backyard pool and replace it with a quaint little gazebo that ended up adding a considerable amount of equity into their property.(much more than what their old pool did :-))

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard Gazebo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here