Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frostecat_gw

help!

Frostecat
9 years ago

I got married over the winter and my hubby's previous bachelor pad is in need of a bush! It is a brick ranch with attached 3 car garage (vehicles were in driveway so didn't include).

The house is about 8 years old and he has added a retaining wall with a circle at the end. We we would like to plant a smallish size tree in the circle (was thinking white fountain cherry?) but need some help with the rest.

We would also like to dig up the island to the left and place something in there, but that could be down the road, more concerned right now with the retaining wall portion.

I have no clue how to do this, but I do know some of the things that I like, limelight hydrangeas and anything low maintenance, I do not want to be a slave to the yard. Hubby golfs way too much, and "I" don't want to be the one weeding every weekend.

We plan on using black mulch. If anyone could give me suggestions or do a computer mock-up that would be so awesome! PS - we are on a budget.

Thank you so much in advance.

This post was edited by Frostecat on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 13:33

Comments (7)

• Frostecat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of the whole house, this might help.

This post was edited by Frostecat on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 13:36

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

You should show the retaining wall "circle" so that one could actually gauge its size and from a view where the house is in the background. In other words, a square-on picture taken aiming at the end of that portion of the house.

• Frostecat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does this help?

This post was edited by Frostecat on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 13:37

• Frostecat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another view.

This post was edited by Frostecat on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 13:38

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

The circle is very small so I can't imagine anything bigger than a 12' ht. lilac in it. You might consider smaller spiraeas for the raised planter. In general, the planter is too shallow in it's front-to-back depth. Next time, allow at least 5' of depth. The blank space between the two windows is "asking" for a small tree form, but there is no room in the planter. It would need to go in the ground in front of the planter.

• Frostecat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Yardvaark. I wish I had gotten on this forum before the retaining wall was built! As it stands now, we are going to be putting a white snow fountain cherry in the circle.

I am in love with limelight hydrangea, and was at a landscaping place this weekend where they had the tree form. I asked about putting that in between the windows and they thought too much of a tree - tree with the cherry on the corner and suggested I go with bushes. We are hoping to clear out the island someday, retaining wall first, so maybe I could put one in the island at that time.

I did see some spirea I liked too it was golden with some red in it? Can't remember the technical name (excuse my ignorance, but I admit I know nothing about landscaping). Maybe clump in 3's under the windows? Would you recommend any type evergeen type of bush too? It would be nice to have something in the winter months.

Do you recommend any day lily's too?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

"I asked about putting that [limelight hyd.] in between the windows and they thought too much of a tree." "Too much of a tree"?? Isn't that exactly what a tall blank space requires? I don't know who "they" is, but I think I would ignore the advice. However, as I mentioned earlier, it would not work to put such a plant as close to the house as your already-built planter requires. The trunk(s) would need to go about 5' or 6' from the house ... outside of the raised planter.

If you're creating a hedge out of multiple shrubs (as you might do in the raised planter), forget about 3's. That guideline does not apply since a hedge, when it is finished, is a single item.

It would be better if someone more current than I on zone five plants makes a recommendation for evergreen shrubs you might use.