Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markmcvie1

garden wall colours

markmcvie1
10 years ago

I have a rectangle shaped garden (vertically) which has a fence to the right which i have painted red cedar. The left hand side is a brick wall with pebbledash which i want to freshen up, Grateful for any suggestions on colour to match. Paving and stones are floor feature.Thanks

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

It'd be hard to pick the perfect color for a room that one couldn't see. Same here. Why not show a picture?

• markmcvie1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, thanks for the reply. As you can see, it is very untidy on the left where I had started to remove the pebbledash as I wanted to create a 'brick look' but have decided against that idea as it is very difficult to remove the coating. I then started to paint the wall 'brilliant white' with a masonry paint but not sure if this will look too 'dazzling' for such a narrow garden area? Should I have gone for a darker colour on the fence side also? Grateful for any advice.

Many thanks

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

The 'brilliant white would seem harshly glaring to me. The fence color seems fine. Taupe and some variant of washed teal (oxidized copper color) are two colors that go with just about anything outdoors (within reason.) I played with a few colors using MSPaint. (At the taupe column next to the bench, I pressure washed the concrete column cap.) You might open your picture in it (or paste it in) and explore colors using the edit color feature.

• catkim
    10 years ago

What is your location/climate? Is there any more garden contiguous to this section? I'm wondering about continuity of vision, which is why I ask. Do you plan to grow anything on either side of the path?

You could get an old-world look with your semi-exposed brick if you can train a tracery of clematis, jasmine, or rose along the wall. It might also be an interesting setting for a succulent garden. Or you could go Moroccan and paint the wall a vibrant shade of blue. Again, much depends on where you live and how it will go with all we cannot see.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    10 years ago

I'd be inclined to paint each wall section a different color - but not a mix of colors like Yard shows... I'd do something like start with a very pale peach at the far end and then darken it a shade or two on each wall section as you move back, until it is the same as the fence color at the house end - or perhaps reverse it, going from light at the house end to dark at the far end... You'd have to mock it up to see which effect you'd prefer since the two color schemes would likely have different effects on how you'd perceive the space. I think, for such a small space, it'd be best to stick to a subtle, unifying color scheme than to go for novelty and variety. Then you could use plantings to both tie into the color scheme as well as introduce more variety.

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

I'm with catkim in that my first thought was 'people pay to fake those walls.' :)

I think you may be shortchanging your space by simply asking for a paint that goes with the fence. This can be a great little retreat, even if you do not want to plant it out. Is the bench used now and, if so, is it a quieting down space or a rejuvenation of energy space?

To accent the vertical lines (fence slats on the right, wall sections on the left) on both sides closes the space in, and the mood turns towards long walk to the detention corner. To visually enlarge the width, and open the area up, horizontals on left would help.

You could go bold, but it does not have to be. Some gradually undulating lines to simulate two rows of hills would work. I'd probably choose a darker color on the bottom to about the bench arm height, then a medium color to slightly above the middle, then much lighter up to the top. They can all be in the reddish browns of your fence on the right to tie everything together.

On the other hand, going with colors that compliment but are not too closely matched to the wood fence, would further separate the two sides. In a very narrow strip, that can be something to consider..

• markmcvie1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much everyone for your responses. As a novice to design these suggestions have been great. I will take them on board. Many thanks again.

• PTLandscape
    10 years ago

Just to share with you,I have this fondness with bright colors,because it add character and cheerfulness with your garden.