Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Tilling the Best Option?

Posted by misfitcandy none (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 17:54

My husband and I just moved into a home that had absolutely no yard work done. We just installed a fence for the back yard. The back yard consists of weeds and dry dirt. The dirt is full of small rocks. We want to grow a lawn and some raised beds for vegetables. Eventually, we will do more gardening. Is tilling the ground the first step for this blank canvass of a yard? Or is there a better method?

Thank you for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Tilling the Best Option?

Don't till up the yard as it will be much wasted effort. (It's great for the vegetable garden, especially if you're incorporating amendments.) Sod will grow on any smooth dirt surface. If you're seeding, scarify (scratch up) the surface so that seed will become imbedded in the soil when sprinkling is applied or when it rains. Be consistent with watering when starting seed or sod.

o
RE: Is Tilling the Best Option?

what part of the country are you in? "full of small rocks" means something very different in New England vs. Ohio.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here