Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help with small flower beds

Posted by ctstar ct (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 18:09

Hi! I have two small flower beds in the front of the house.I was given a ton of scalloped bricks for the edge. i am thinking of doing the white rocks instead of the mulch. But my problem is what to plant. I want it to look nice all spring and summer. I have some irises to put in.Where do I look to know what to put in. I am in CT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help with small flower beds

I want it to look nice all spring and summer.

To provide a more helpful answer, I think we need to know what you mean by 'nice.'

Flowers? Colors? Matching something? Complementing other plantings (what color are the irises, for example)? Complementing the house color? Looking good without much maintenance? Perennials that will repeat the show next year?

How large are the beds? How deep are they? How many iris are there? Do you need something a particular height (shorter than the foundation shrubs, if any)?

A photo would answer many of these questions.

Also, what direction does the house face, and how much sun do the beds receive? Different plants are happier in different conditions.

o
RE: need help with small flower beds

White rocks can be a bust.... They look great when newly installed, but with age (silting in with debris)they look like a dirty white dress shirt with a dingy yellow collar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here