Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
building a stone retaining wall garden against a wooden fence?

Posted by docdubz NY (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 11 at 18:11

I am in the process of building a retaining wall garden in the back corner of my yard. The retaining wall will be at some places 3 feet tall, and once complete the soil will be resting against the wooden fence in that corner of my yard. having the soil just rest against my fence would be a horrible idea, it would rot the wood, and the second it starts raining it will all wash out behind the fence. What would be a good and cost effective material to build up against the fence to prevent the soil or runoff water from contacting the fence? I was looking at the 'concrete board' which is used to go under kitchen counters and such, would this do? if not is there a readily available plastic sheeting or something which could be used? or should i just start buying brick and mortar and start building a wall bordering the fence (i would prefer to avoid this if possible).

thanks for any input

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: building a stone retaining wall garden against a wooden fence

Re-think your plans, because that dirt pile is going to be heavy. You will need to build a masonry (brick or concrete) elevated planter to hold the dirt pile safely.

A retaining wall is used to restrain a natural slope, no make an artificial hill.

o

If you have a 6 foot fence, and in places, 3 feet of it will be covered up with dirt, then why don't you take down that section of the fence, put in your retaining wall (you'll need a two sided wall....which becomes an elevated planter) and put an attractive fence on top of it.
Cement backer board might work for a little while, but what happens when the fence needs to be repaired/replaced?
Also, think about what purpose the retaining wall serves. Sounds to me like the potential is there to have a brand new eyesore in your yard. Maybe I'm just not visualizing it properly...

o

Let me try to answer your question by asking another one (which is sort of rude, but here goes...)

Why are you adding a retaining wall around the edge of your yard? Do you want to elevate a planting bed so that smallish plants have more height more quickly?

I usually see retaining walls used to make a sloped yard level, I'm having a hard time picturing a retaining wall garden that backs up to a fence. But I'm sure there is a reason to consider building one ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here