Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyinalabama

Pictures of a mixed border for privacy & to hide a fence?

amyinalabama
16 years ago

One side of our yard has a 200 foot long chain link fence (put in by previous owner) and I'm going for 2 things -- privacy and hiding the ugly thing! I was going to plant hedges (no vines because it's only 4 foot high and the neighbors could still see over) but I've read here that I shouldn't plant the same thing along the entire length. That's fine in theory but I can't see it in my head. How do I plant different things and make it look nice? (yes, I am a newbie at this stuff). Does anyone have pictures to share?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

For some pictures

Here is a link that might be useful: Mixed Borders

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

There's no reason you can't plant the same thing along the entire length if the look you want is a hedge, rather than a shrub border.

A formal hedge would be shrubs that are trimmed, possibly evergreens. An informal hedge would be created with plants that have a pleasing natural shape, and they would be allowed to grow naturally, or with a snip here and there to maintain a neat shape or control size. It can be all the same kind of shrub, or a mix of evergreen and deciduous shrubs that would either bloom at different times, or provide year round foliage color, or interesting seasonal changes.

It all depends on what look you're after. The style of your house and surrounding neighborhood might suggest which look would be right, or you can just go with your personal preference.

I would see if your library has books on shrubs, maybe check out the shrub forum, and search the web for articles and information on hedges or shrub borders.

• spazzycat_1
    16 years ago

Here's a pic of a screen we planted that's been successful for us. Behind this screen is a trampoline and a wire fence that is draped with all kinds of junk. You'd never know.

It is basically two layers of shrubs planted on 10' centers, taller evergreen shrubs/trees in back and smaller deciduous/evergreen flowering shrubs in front. The back layer is planted 10' from the property line so that we can get behind the screen to maintain. It took about 3 years to get some decent screening after planting.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:23091}}

• karinl
    16 years ago

That's nicely done, Spazzycat.

Amy, I think a little reading would quickly give you some idea of how a shrub border could look. Check out some books on landscaping, or gardening with shrubs perhaps, or search around the internet for "shrub border"; not sure what you'll find there.

KarinL

• xantippe
    16 years ago

Wow, spazzycat, that's beautiful! Great job.

• amyinalabama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone -- you all have given me a lot to think about!

And I agree - spazzycat, your border has really inspired me! Beautiful!

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

Sometimes when I'm at the nursery I see displays of plants in pots arranged like a shrub border. There may be show gardens or nurseries in your area that have actual examples you can visit. Call around. I'm a northerner so I can't make any recommendations in your area but now would be the perfect time to prowl around the local nurseries and gardens, before the summer heat sets in! I also got ideas for my yard by just walking around my neighborhood with a digital camera and taking pictures of examples of arrangements I liked. And sometimes local exhibit halls will have home and garden shows this time of year, that's a great place to get ideas too.

• krainbolt
    15 years ago

Spazzycat, Can you tell me what plants you used? I have a neighbor (from the subdivision behind us) that put in a chain link fence that is now the central view at the end of our cul-de-sac.

• spazzycat_1
    15 years ago

Back layer (tall and evergreen):

Leatherleaf Viburnum
    Nellie R. Stevens hollies
    Ligustrum chinesis (variegated ligustrum)
    Carolina cherry laurel
    Ligustrum japonica

Front layer:

Spirea pruniflora
    Spirea 'Vanhoutti'
    Quince
    Viburnum burkwoodi
    Doublefile viburnum

We originally also had Indian Hawthorn in the front layer, but the deer made mincemeat of them, so they were ripped out.