Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscaping along a new path

Posted by mainemary z4 ME (My Page) on
Mon, May 2, 11 at 19:02

Last year I built a new concrete paver patio connected to my circle drive by a winding path. The perennial bed between the path and house is coming in nicely. Originally I planned the lawn (which is about to be renovated)to be on the outer side of the path and patio. What are the pros and cons of constructing a small (18-24" wide planting bed on the exterior edge of the path versus letting the lawn grow there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscaping along a new path

One of the pros in my opinion is you would have more cool pretty things to look at while you walked down the path and sat out on the patio. The con would be, more stuff to weed, lol! I can never seem to get enough garden space, but that's just me.

o

Thanks- if I plant the right things, maybe weeding won't be an issue. Much of the area is bare right now.

o

Adding a bed on the other side of the path would change the path fundamentally. At the moment, the path is what separates the lawn and the bed. If you add a bed on the lawn side, the path would change to a path through the bed, a path with no direct relationship to the lawn.

I'd make the width of the lawn-side bed variable: curve it out in one or two places. Maybe start small and add more next year. (My own beds tend to evolve over time....)

Something else to consider is how to edge the lawn-side bed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here