Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with ideas

Posted by agrgory413 Ca (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 19:14

I have lived in my house for 5 years now and haven't done anything with the landscape. I have found that anytime I am wondering the local nurseries I just get overwhelmed. I want some easy to maintain landscaping, but I want it to look very clean and "professional."

I don't have a problem doing the dirty work, I just don't really know what plants pair well together. I know if I did it, I would make it look like I threw random plants in the ground.

I really like palms trees and the such. I think the main thing is clean looking and lower maintenance... A little shrub trimming wouldn't be bad, I just don't have a ton of time to work on it every weekend.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with ideas

And this is my side yard. I had to pull the middle hedges because some if them had died off because of a black fungus. I was thinking about putting hedges back, or possibly taller ornimental grass with something in between to break it up.

o

Wish you had better pictures. They're a bit dark and muddy. Could stand to be 25% larger, too. Can't see details of the area where palms, fence and some kind of stone wall is at the left half of first picture. How much depth of bed is there between the walk and fence in second picture?

o

I would put the standard California beauties...bougainvillea all along the fence and porch, bird of paradise for some height along the porch and corner, and ice plant for ground cover in front of the porch. Also just pop in some annuals like geranium, petunia, etc. (these can be removed easily when they croak). Low maintenance, evergreen, and pretty during the blooming season. Do make sure your HOA approves your plantings if there is one.

This post was edited by sasafras on Sun, May 11, 14 at 20:30

o

Great suggestions Sasafras!
How about a dwarf Japanese Maple "Red Dragon", at one of the front corners of the front bed.

o

It looks to me as if the bed rounding the porch is too shallow for shrubs. Perennials would work there. How do you irrigate?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here