Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for screening tricky driveway area?

Posted by cmac1 CT (My Page) on
Sun, May 9, 10 at 19:33

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone in the forum might have any suggestions on what to plant along my driveway in New England. (I have a photo but cant figure out how to upload it) We wanted to plant one or two small scale shrubs/trees at the corner of the garage (maybe more arborviate), then an arbor, then more shrubs/trees. Ideally, we really need some privacy from the street. The issue that is stumping me is that there is a big oak tree a few feet back from the pavement at the end of the screening line, which is why the previous owners never continued the screen, so the shade and roots make it tricky to have something big thrive there, plus there is only about 4' from driveway to trunk of oak tree, so not much depth. We can't do a fence as the house is really long and a fence will only make it look longer, I was thinking about a grouping of descending height evergreens, but am wondering if that will look weird with an arbor in the middle. Any ideas on what to do or suggestions on smaller scale/narrow screening shrubs that would do ok in dense shade on one end and sun at the other, would be most appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for screening tricky driveway area?

Shrubs in planters.

o
RE: Ideas for screening tricky driveway area?

These are the site's instructions on how to post a photo (I've never done it, so I can't tell you how):
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/pepper/2002072150000611.html

When you go to "Preview Message," your photo should show up (if you posted the photo itself) or your link should show up (if you posted a link to the photo). If the photo doesn't show up or the link isn't good (click on it to see), then you'll have to go back and try again. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here