Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade - north facing front yard design

Posted by glakessub 6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 19:47

Hi All .. I am in zone 6, new to gardening and have moved into a new house . I have read the forums about different types of flowering/ornamental plants but unsure about what I want to do. I need your help designing around mostly perennials and may be a few annuals. I have mostly shade since I have a north facing front yard
front

2012-05-14 19.42.42

2012-05-14 19.42.59

We have planted a row of winter gem boxwood interspersed with some lilies and bulbs of calla lilies. I also have a small water pond behind that row (no water plants there yet).

I was thinking of having columnar bushes (may be pencil yew) close to the window that will be taller than boxwood and then have a japanese maple,hydrangea or azalea to the left of the window. A relative has told us that she will us a few hostas and may be a small Japanese maple plant. may be the hostas can go in front of the columnar bushes

Please help !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade - north facing front yard design

Sorry,I change the frame to soft some hard line.
Photobucket

o

Thanks. I am hoping someone can suggest plant configurations for existing frame

o

I'd take out the border and remove the water feature right off. It's scaled all wrong.

The floating nature of the bay window should be concealed, not emphasized. Some largish, rounded shrubs should go under the window on the left. In front you can put some lower perennials or a groundcover. The evergreens by the door should go. They are too short now to look good, and when they are tall enough, they will be too wide.

Between the sidewalk and the wall, you could do a low evergreen (lavender, if you want blooms...) or train something very well-behaved like clematis or a rose against the wall.

o

You have two threads working against each other with the same subject and content. I'd kill one by declaring it dead and put all your focus in the other one.

o

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am going to use the other discussion and kill this one.

o

Widen the step and the sidewalk to be as wide as the entry ... whatever else you do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here