Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Juniper Difference

Posted by aloha2009 5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 19:59

Are we splitting hairs (or needles) when trying to decide whether to use Blue Chip or Blue Rug Juniper? I think we had blue chip many, moons ago but I can't remember for absolute since I was just getting into gardening. It would be nice to compare full grown plants but I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

Do one of these look nicer then the other? Do one of them "green" up sooner then the other? We liked the coloring of the Buffalo juniper but it seemed to have too much "presence" for what we are after...something to fill the area but not detract from the other plantings.

We've googled the images but it's still hard to tell.

Do you have a preference and why?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Juniper Difference

I always need many times to match a yard with plants.I add Blue Chip or Blue Rug Juniper or Buffalo juniper or other shrub on a panoramic shot,compare different effects,select my favour.so on.

o

The best place for this question would be the conifer forum.

Karin L

o

Seems to me, Aloha, given that the "finish" is roughly the same for both plants, it is the height difference that would determine your selection: 6" vs. 12". 'Blue Rug' is lower.

o

Haven't grown these, but with juniper, likely, Blue Rug will grow wider slower, too...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here