Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help need pairing with Golden Mop Cypress

Posted by needhamgardens ma (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 20:43

I need a plant/shrub suggestion for the following issue:

We have a 30' long by 7' wide berm with a lamp post right in the middle - so we can fit 2 bushes on each side of post.

We bought 2 Golden Mop Cypress bushes for each side and now would like help for the other bush.

Details:
-full sun
-zone 5
-would like winter-interest well
-nice contrast against the lime green/golden color

Does anyone have any suggestions??? THANKS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help need pairing with Golden Mop Cypress

Lots of different ways based on color, texture, height, and leaf sizes.

Why is this lamp-post so important to be framed like this?

o

How about one of the red Japanese maples? But I don't think you want it symmetrical on either side of the post. Do you have a photo?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 3, 10 at 23:20

If you don't try to get geometric symmetry like this then you don't have such a brittle situation, where everything has to be perfectly matched. And this is only called for when everything in the scene, including the architecture of the dominant building is geometrically symmetric. Otherwise a conflict is produced, as with a tuxedo at a picnic.

But maybe you are working in a formal setting. You didn't say.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here