Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not removing grass before landscaping?

Posted by NotSoGreenThumbWI Zone 4 (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 21:00

As some background, I had grass planted at my new construction home in WI about a year ago. I believe it is mostly Kentucky Bluegrass. This Spring I planned to landscape around my house, but I have grass going all the way up to the house. A friend told me that since the grass is still only a year old, I wouldn't have to remove or kill it before landscaping and that the mulch would just smother it.

So, I went ahead and planted a bunch of shrubs, put down some weed barrier fabric (which only went out 4 feet from the house), and put down a couple inches of cedar mulch about 5 feet from the house. All of this was done on top of the grass. It felt great to be done!

Then, I started having second thoughts about whether the grass is really going to die or if it's going to poke right up again. I'm hoping the grass that has weed barrier fabric and mulch over it will die, but am especially skeptical about the grass that just has mulch over it. If it does pop up through the mulch, what should I do to control it now that the area is covered with shrubs and mulch?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not removing grass before landscaping?

If grass comes up close to shrubs, you will probably need to hand dig it out. If farther away, you could carefully spray it with Round-up, while protecting the shrub foliage, of course. Where it is covered with mulch only, it's likely that the grass will break through. Where there is fabric, it's likely that it will die if the fabric and mulch remain intact.

o

Do you think it would be worthwhile to put some cardboard under the mulch where there is no landscape fabric at this point?

o

Sure. If not too difficult to do. The alternative is to kill what comes up with Round-up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here