Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamesgreen7

Creating a Natural Fence in a No Dig Situation

JamesGreen7
11 years ago

We have a bit of a predicament along a portion of our property line and I would very much appreciate some advice.

We were planning to use something like an emerald green arborvitae along the fence line pictured below, however when our utility lines were marked we found they run exactly in the spot we'd planted to dig. More specifically the cables run parallel to the fence line starting about 10 inches into our property out to about 60 inches into our property from the fence. These lines can be moved but the cost would be considerable, so I'm seeking other options. The fence is not ours so moving that is not an option.

{{gwi:33073}}

My initial thought is to essentially create an above ground container garden that runs parallel to the fence using timers or ties. Once built we would weigh it down to ensure it does not topple over, fill with dirt, and plant.

My primary concerns are how much planting in such a container will limit growth of the plants, and also, given our somewhat cold winters in Iowa how the plants will fare given they will not have in-ground root protection. Other concerns are if the container box will get extremely hot during the summer months and basically cook the roots. I'm not sure if this concern is a logical one.

I'm willing to entertain other options and suggestions here. If the emerald greens are not the best option, perhaps a vine? The primary motivation here is privacy from a neighbor with an unsightly yard so something providing cover year round is preferred.

Thanks for any help

Comments (6)