Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Critique this Sketch for my front yard (w/pics)

Posted by amy35603 7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 4, 10 at 22:29

I have a sketch a landscape company provided me to re-do my front flower beds. Please let me know what you think of the sketch.

Also, the sketch suggests using Arborvitae's and I have diffidently decided not to use the Arborvitae's included in the sketch. I believe I want to use some kind of oriental tree in the left corner of the house. Does anyone have any suggestions about what type of tree would look nice in this spot.

I am also trying to figure out what to use in the beds on each side of the garage. Any suggestions?

I have also included pictures of my house to help better visualize the sketch. Any help you all can give me would be great. This is my first home and I am clueless when it comes to landscaping design.

Thanks,
Amy

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Critique this Sketch for my front yard (w/pics)

Hi, I get the choice of Arborvitae so there is an evergreen. It is a good one to give a more foundational base. What type is what I am wondering. Low mounded is the one I would use. If Arborvitae is not what you want then Yew or Boxwood would also achieve the intended look. As for a ornamental tree, as long as the bedding space is provided then perhaps a Magnolia or a Crype Mertle? I'm not in your zone so that would be a great question for the nursery you are working with. Check out the neighborhood and look to see what other people are doing with this type of planting. The more mature lawns will speak volumes as they are established. Trust yourself you will see what looks good and what doesn't. As for the sketch, the plan looks good just a little vauge on the seasonal color part. The fact that it is a layered look is nice and I think you will enjoy the affect. One thing I see in the pics is I think there is a Barberry planted by the garden hose, (if I am wrong I'm sorry.) This is thorny and will be difficult to work around. Love the Barberry but would use it as accent or as a skirting planting. Exapmple of this is skirting around upright Junipers, Arborvitae or can be used to skirt a ornimental tree. The design uses an Arborvitae witch makes the area more user friendly. By the way, nice home!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here