Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Downspouts and retaining walls

Posted by bookworm_brenda Michigan (My Page) on
Sat, May 22, 10 at 22:41

We bought a house and the landscaping in front consists of these mounds of earth covered with landscape cloth and mulch. They're maybe 8 inches above the level of the yard and one is probably 6' by 15'. The mulch washes down the sides of the mounds and it's a mess to mow near them. I thought about removing the biggest mound then I thought about building a retaining wall around it. My issue is a downspout. I don't think all the water from the downspout would be good for even a short retaining wall. Would the drainage pipe that I've seen in retaining wall how to videos be enough to handle the flow from a good hard rain? Do I make an exit through the wall for the pipe?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Downspouts and retaining walls

The mulch washes down the sides of the mounds and it's a mess to mow near them. I thought about removing the biggest mound then I thought about building a retaining wall around it.

Not sure what these mounds are for. There are diffent ways you could go, plant them maybe. Do you like them? The simplest thing would be to dump more mulch on top and aim the mower to send flying chips back towards the heap when you mow. If you add more periodically it should stay covered. The current layer is too thin or has started to age out.

My issue is a downspout. I don't think all the water from the downspout would be good for even a short retaining wall. Would the drainage pipe that I've seen in retaining wall how to videos be enough to handle the flow from a good hard rain?

There's a lot of "it depends" in the answer.

Do I make an exit through the wall for the pipe?

If the work involved is reasonable I would consider this a superior solution. If you want to get fancy you could have the water spash into a bowl or something.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here