Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Regrading under stone patio

Posted by John.D none (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 22:57

We are planning a new stone patio that will start at the wall of our brick house. The soil in this area currently slopes toward the house and we will need to fill it with about 12-16" of material before we make the packed aggregate base for the patio. Should this fill also be packed aggregate? Or will that still allow water infiltration near the foundation? With thanks for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Regrading under stone patio

The base that is necessary for the patio would stay same no matter where you are building. All the other fill (prior to base) would be tamped fill dirt. No organic matter.

Don't quite understand your question about "allowing water infiltration." A stone over aggregate base is not going to prevent all water infiltration into the soil. The objective will be to grade the surface properly so that storm water runs away from the house. By it's nature, a unit paver over aggregate invites some H20 infiltration.

o

Thank you Yardvaark. The question about water infiltration was about the difference between putting fill dirt vs. packed aggregate below the base. I realize that some water will be going through the patio and base, and that the slope will help most, but I didnt know whether (i) soil under the base, or (ii) a thicker layer of aggregate making base, would better prevent water from being near the foundation.

o

It sounds to me like you are trying to fix the grade by adding height to it near the house. Depending on how much of your foundation is showing this may not be the best idea, but would be better to remove material on the outsides to slope it away from the house.

o

Thanks Lyfia

Yes, we have to add material near the house. Our ability to excavate down elsewhere would undermine a large mature tree, we'd have to do the whole yard, and we'd be 'lower' than all the neighbors yards.

o

I'm not a huge fan of compacting soil for under a paver patio. Too many variables in terms of what's in it, and that impacts how well it can be compacted. We generally build up with compactable aggregate (21A or crusher run), compacted in lifts. This is a product that's consistent from lot to lot, quarry to quarry. Most patios fail because of the base.

A standard concrete paver with poly sanded joints is going to allow an average of only 3-5% water infiltration, according to engineering tests. I agree with Yard, pitch the patio appropriately away from the house, don't create pooling spots if you do plant beds between the patio and the house, and you're most of the way there. The rest, hard to say without seeing the site.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here