Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I plant now?

Posted by sjt2900 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 23:42

We want to underplant this tree and the small slope behind the swing that's hard to mow. We've trenched in the natural edging and killed the grass and then scraped about half of it away, but then I read it was ok to just plant through the turf as long as it was dead. Is this so, or should we scrape away the rest? It's been almost too hot here to work in the yard but the next few days should be nice so I'd like to get it planted, but I want to do it right.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I plant now?

I like to plant when fall come.

o

It's not necessary to remove the dead grass. Mulch will cover it.

o

Plan on watering the snot out of whatever you plant there now for the rest of the summer. Summer is here (although you are a couple of zones further north from me) and plants are reluctant to establish well if you plonk them in the ground when it's hot and dry. Now, if you're just going to put some annuals in there, then go ahead. But, if you're thinking of planting some more valuable perennials or shrubs, then plan to irrigate or, perhaps, wait until fall and just mulch in the meantime.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here