Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fence alternative in front garden

Posted by adriennemb z3/4 (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 12 at 23:45

We've adopted a senior rescue dog who is almost perfect except for her continued insistence in cutting across the garden from the front walkway. The spring vegetation is still quite short but I imagine that this will be a problem later on as things grow. A short decorative fence prevented this in the past with my other dog but I removed it when a couple of inattentive pedestrians tripped over the barrier.

But now, we have interspersed some garden "ball weed" stakes which gently sway and clang softly when brushed. Problem solved :)

I love Etsy...

DSCF0776 DSCF0778 DSCF0774

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fence alternative in front garden

A net even a thread(appropriate high) may work.

o

Looks like a nice dog...! My experience with dogs and the garden says 'don't fight the inevitable; put a path where the dogs regularly travel' - or they will make one for you! Dogs really do 'take the path of least resistance' so almost invariably will choose to use a path to cross the garden rather than to push their way through plants. Dogs are one of the reasons why our garden has an extensive network of paths! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: The dog pack

o

adrienne, would you please tell more about the garden "ball weed" stakes. Did you make them? Love the look - makes me think of verbena bonariensis. My 'liitle friends' could be given permission to relocate them around the garden if they're easily 'uprooted'.

Rosie

o

Thanks DO6 and Rosie. A net would work but her vision isn't very good and she would probably insist on walking into it. I found these seven bendable, slightly-swaying, thigh-high stakes attached to a single base with an anchoring post to plunge into the garden bed (or even a big pot) on Etsy. The motion catches her eye and if she tries to go through the five individual posts, she can feel and hear them. And if I want to, I can just pull them up and easily move them elsewhere. I just want to gently dissuade her from cutting across the flowers...

Woody, you're a blogger! Cool. We've always had dogs too but having always lived in the country, this new, suburban yard is a learning experience. There are already "trails" in the big woodland-type garden in the back. But I so miss nearby brush where the dogs can do their business away from the house. Agh, I hate all the white spots in the lawn. Those scented posts that you can buy are expensive and seem to work only for a short while. At first, I would flush the dead turf, and reseed the grass, but I've given up now. It's like this old girl pees Round-up :) I've been lucky at least that, unlike my last dog, she doesn't like water and doesn't go swimming in the pond.

o

Like it !!

o

Your grass is always green in your photos, Michelle. And you have Jack Russells that DON"T DIG. How in the world do you do that?

o

my grass secret... it's not grass. It is just a robust melange of weeds, bermuda, oxalis, vetch, a few strings of fescue and dicondra that I mow. - don't look too close !

every now and then one of The Jacks decides to dig, this usually only happens a day or two before I have an open garden tour day. I've learned to stock up on extra tastey chewy treats in abundance just before open garden/ tour time and cross my fingers.

( have a small group from New Zealand coming on Monday.... so you know there is going to be digging ! )

o

adrienne - I don't blog.... Dogs are another one of my passions :-) and the dog photos are just on the site where I keep some of my garden photos. The more recent dog photos are in the album below.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Dog Pack cont.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here