Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adriennemb2

Fence alternative in front garden

adriennemb2
11 years ago

We've adopted a senior rescue dog who is almost perfect except for her continued insistence in cutting across the garden from the front walkway. The spring vegetation is still quite short but I imagine that this will be a problem later on as things grow. A short decorative fence prevented this in the past with my other dog but I removed it when a couple of inattentive pedestrians tripped over the barrier.

But now, we have interspersed some garden "ball weed" stakes which gently sway and clang softly when brushed. Problem solved :)

I love Etsy...

{{gwi:33552}} {{gwi:33553}} {{gwi:33554}}

Comments (8)

• designoline6
    11 years ago

A net even a thread(appropriate high) may work.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    11 years ago

Looks like a nice dog...! My experience with dogs and the garden says 'don't fight the inevitable; put a path where the dogs regularly travel' - or they will make one for you! Dogs really do 'take the path of least resistance' so almost invariably will choose to use a path to cross the garden rather than to push their way through plants. Dogs are one of the reasons why our garden has an extensive network of paths! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: The dog pack

• rosiew
    11 years ago

adrienne, would you please tell more about the garden "ball weed" stakes. Did you make them? Love the look - makes me think of verbena bonariensis. My 'liitle friends' could be given permission to relocate them around the garden if they're easily 'uprooted'.

Rosie

• adriennemb2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks DO6 and Rosie. A net would work but her vision isn't very good and she would probably insist on walking into it. I found these seven bendable, slightly-swaying, thigh-high stakes attached to a single base with an anchoring post to plunge into the garden bed (or even a big pot) on Etsy. The motion catches her eye and if she tries to go through the five individual posts, she can feel and hear them. And if I want to, I can just pull them up and easily move them elsewhere. I just want to gently dissuade her from cutting across the flowers...

Woody, you're a blogger! Cool. We've always had dogs too but having always lived in the country, this new, suburban yard is a learning experience. There are already "trails" in the big woodland-type garden in the back. But I so miss nearby brush where the dogs can do their business away from the house. Agh, I hate all the white spots in the lawn. Those scented posts that you can buy are expensive and seem to work only for a short while. At first, I would flush the dead turf, and reseed the grass, but I've given up now. It's like this old girl pees Round-up :) I've been lucky at least that, unlike my last dog, she doesn't like water and doesn't go swimming in the pond.

• deviant-deziner
    11 years ago

Like it !!

• adriennemb2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Your grass is always green in your photos, Michelle. And you have Jack Russells that DON"T DIG. How in the world do you do that?

• deviant-deziner
    11 years ago

my grass secret... it's not grass. It is just a robust melange of weeds, bermuda, oxalis, vetch, a few strings of fescue and dicondra that I mow. - don't look too close !

every now and then one of The Jacks decides to dig, this usually only happens a day or two before I have an open garden tour day. I've learned to stock up on extra tastey chewy treats in abundance just before open garden/ tour time and cross my fingers.

( have a small group from New Zealand coming on Monday.... so you know there is going to be digging ! )

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    11 years ago

adrienne - I don't blog.... Dogs are another one of my passions :-) and the dog photos are just on the site where I keep some of my garden photos. The more recent dog photos are in the album below.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Dog Pack cont.