Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walkout slope / stone landscaping

Posted by sahmof2 3a (My Page) on
Sun, May 9, 10 at 23:49

Hello all. First timer here however I've been a lurker for a few years.

Here's my question ...

We have a walkout and on one side (facing west) we have a slope of dirt which the cats currently use as a litter box. What our plan is is to line the slope so to speak with river rocks found on our property and my in-laws property. I'd like to first place cut culverts vertically say 5 or so about 10 inches in diametre to be removed later to allow for a place to plant perennials. Anywho our plan is to place all the rocks and culverts and then dust several bags of mortar over the rocks and then we were hoping to sprinkle water with the hose on the rocks/mortar for it to set.

Our plan is to save time and energy while keeping out weeds as well as falling rocks when our children decide to use it as a rock wall.

Any ideas of this dusting/sprinkling idea will work?

If you made it this far thanks for your time!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walkout slope / stone landscaping

• Posted by mjsee Zone 7b, NC (My Page) on
    Mon, May 10, 10 at 14:18

ummm...I don't think that will work. How steep is your slope? There are ways to rock a slope to help with erosion and such...but none of the ways I know of involve mortar. Unless one is building and honest-to-goodness wall, with footers and such.

I've done both. I think "sprinkling mortar" is gonna make a mess....and not work on top of it.

o

Thanks for replying. I'm not certain of the slope but I'd say its around a 35 degree. I'm not worried about erosion (should I be??). It has a very large very high deck atop it but it gets loads of hot west sun from about 1.00p.m. on.

Can you suggest a method of keeping the stones from shifting while keeping weeds out? Or a very low maintenance landscape idea?

o

• Posted by mjsee Zone 7b, NC (My Page) on
    Tue, May 11, 10 at 16:02

I think you need to do a little research. There are LOTS of books out there about working/landscaping with stone.

Go to your local library and check a few out. I'll link one below that you can preview through google books.

best of luck.
melanie

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscaping with Stone

o

Thanks all. Great websites. Off I go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here