Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help & Suggestions to finish my IPE deck

Posted by jc1stdeck PA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 11 at 0:06

Hello and thank you in advance for any suggestions and help.

I am completing my first decking project which is a 18' x 20' IPE deck. The issue that I have run into is that I am completing the final 8 courses of deck boards and I am running into a 3" gap after my final decking row and the the inside row of my boarder.

I first made my boarder, which is 3 board courses around the perimeter of the deck. Herringbone in the two corners at the house and angled in the front two corners following the design of the deck.

What options do I have to finish the decking boards? What will look the best?

I am not sure if I want to rip any boards but I can not make up that gap with just spacing adjustments.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help & Suggestions to finish my IPE deck

Suggest you also post on the Homes side of gardenweb to the Porches and Decks forums. Lots of knowledgable folks there. IPE makes a seriously gorgeous deck.

o
finish of Ipe' for rich color

Use tung Oil mixed with an evaporative solvent above 50 degrees F after pressure spray cleaning Ipe'. Allow to dry, then lightly sand off any raised grain with fine sandpaper, wipe down with damp cloth to get the dust, allow the moisture to evaporate, and apply polymerized tung oil for second coat at 50 + degrees F. Do not allow a film to form but wipe off the residual oil that does not soak in and allow to dry. Rags can burn so leave open to the air away from burnables in the even they catch fire. Sand the coat, absorb dust with moist rag, dry, add more polymerized tung oil, wipe off and repeat until desired finish is obtained. Finish is flexible and must be rewiped with polymerized Tung oil a couple times a year.

o

suggest you post a picture. (to post, paste photo html code from photo-hosting site here in your message.)

o

What is the actual width of your boards? And what gap size have you been using?

Karin L

o

The original post and question was made about 4 months ago , so I hope the poster figured out how to fill in the 3 inch gap space . ( I'd rip down the boards or figure out a decorative end pattern.)

I can't figure out why the tung oil finishing advice came in, unless I'm missing something (?) . The question was about how to finish the cutting layout not finish the staining or sealing of the wood.

Though have to agree that the tung oil finish is a beautiful finish. We also use Messmers and Australian hardwood oil.

From Smith Project

ripped detail at the pie shaped corner

From Smith Project

o

Argh! Can't believe I missed that. The question was answered on the other forum, but the OP never came back there either.

Gorgeous deck, DD!

Karin L

o

Tung Nut Oil

o

Nice looking pattern and finish Jacky5.
And that distant landscape looks intriguing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here