Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
decorative fencing for turtles

Posted by casey414 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 17, 10 at 0:22

I've been trying to think of ideas and I'm stumped so I thought I would try a forum to see if anyone else had any ideas. Here's my issue...

I just bought my first house and the backyard is a blank slate. It's all grass and no landscaping at all. I have box turtles that are currently living at my parents house waitng to be moved to my new house, but I need a place for them to live. I would like to make a pen for them in my yard but I want it to look like a garden. It will need some kind of fencing to keep them in but I can't think of anything that would be attractive. It would have to be at least 12 inches high so they can't climb over it. I think I would prefer the fencing to be see through so that the plants will be visible but any ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: decorative fencing for turtles

Have you browsed through decorative edgings. There are any number of kinds meant to line flower beds and quite a few are at least 12 inches. You could have a low picket fence built or cut bamboo in different lengths and stick them in the ground next to each other-- that wouldn't be see through, but would be effective if you had tall plants behind it.

o
RE: decorative fencing for turtles

Almost any of the picket fence or wire hoop fences would keep a turtle in if the turtles are wider than the openings. And unless they can jump, you don't need more than a 12-inch fence. People can look right over that.

Go ahead and make it a garden - they can eat the low stuff and you eat the tall stuff. I understand they like fruit and hollyhock leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here