Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cypress Trees for Colorado??

Posted by karinmarie (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 1:36

I am trying to figure out if there is anything that looks like an Italian cypress tree that will grow well in Colorado. I am looking for something that has that tall slender shape. We planted five Sky Rocket Junipers as accent trees in the front and every time we get a good snow, they are leaning over and several branches are poking out every which way...not at all a graceful looking spire shape like the Cypress! The Sky Rockets are heathy and I would like to transplant them somewhere ...just not where they are a focus.

It seems I have seen some kind of evergreens that are very tight foliage and trimmed/shaped to look like Cypress but not sure what they would be.

We also planted a row of seven Swedish Aspen at the end of our driveway. There is only one left that looks okay...foliage only goes half up on two others and completely gone (dead) on all the other ones. Bad choice so I am also looking for some kind of privacy screening at the end of the driveway as we will be taking all of those out this summer.

I think we are in Zone 4....East of mountains and West of Denver.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cypress Trees for Colorado??

Try the conifer forum or a regional forum found on the Gardenwed forums page.

I don't know if many Colorado folks post on this forum.

o

I second Rhodium's suggestion that you try the Conifer forum and the Tree forum for suggestions.

Research is what you need. Go to a good local nursery. Observe what neighbors are choosing. Read books on Colorado plants. Call your county extension and pick the brain of their on-call Master Gardener, if that program is supported where you are. Someone may have an answer that works.

There's one plant that I know of that might work for the cypress look. I say this because that's what someone else wanted and they were located in Michigan, which is a heavy snow state. The problem is that this cultivar is very, very slow growing. It's usually found at about 2 ft wide / 5 ft tall. The person I read about found and ordered 10 foot specimens.

The conifer is Thuja occidentalis 'Degroot's Spire'. I don't have any idea whether it's available where you are or where you go to get taller ones.

o

Degroots is good, but a Taylor juniper is an even better choice. Taylor is a selection of the eastern red cedar, J. virginiana. It is supremely adapted to the midwest plains - and should thrive on the front range. It is the closest thing to an Italian cypress that we can grow successfully..

brian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here