Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ground cover bark?

Posted by poorowner Northern CA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 2:43

We have a backyard patio and further away is a soil area, I have planted a few trees and shrubs there and it looks very nice.. but the weeds are too much and I do not want grass or other green ground cover there.. (watering them would be too much in my hot climate) I am thinking in getting cedar mulch 1-2", although expensive it seems to be very long lasting and I don't mind replenishing every couple of years.. We don't walk barefeet but also want to avoid tracking too much debris onto the patio.

Is there other material you would recommend? I have seen it done in bark nuggets but I don't think it was meant to be walked on?

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ground cover bark?

Yes, mulching will definitely cut down on the weeding, and it's also good for the soil and the plants you've put in. Wise choice!

I prefer a shredded mulch to nuggets; I find that nuggets easily blow around or get washed out by rain, where the shredded/chipped variety stays in place better for me.

We step directly from our raised patio into a mulched area, and don't find debris to be a problem unless I walk barefooted into the garden - it doesn't seem to cling to our shoes or sandals. It's not all that messy though; just needs a quick sweep every so often.

o

Around here you can get the material that tree companies accumulate in their shredders for free. I kept some from recent tree work done here and have it spread over the front yard until I decide what surface I want. It has some green mixed in with the shredded wood, but is a nice consistency for walking on and working with. I may just stay with this long term.

KarinL

o

Hey thanks for the information, I also want to ask, we built a stone patio on top of the old concrete slab patio, it's about "1 brick high" layed flat, as the brick is used as the edging, so it is naturally higher than the dirt now, should the patio be higher than the dirt or should I at least fill it close to the top of the brick? I worry about tripping but normally I see the brick and step over it.

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 15:10

Make the mulch deeper, at least 4 inches.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 16:20

Even if you have selected and planted drought-tolerant plants these will have to be watered at first to be kept alive until they root out into the soil outside the planting holes to a sufficient degree to become independent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here