Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for backyard

Posted by mashedpotato GA - Zone 7A (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 4:37

Have a huge soil pile in backyard that is full of weeds and quite an eyesore. What is a good way to deal with it.

The size is about 80 ft across x 40 ft x 12 ft (max height), This is all Georgia clay which is awful.

Bring in a dump truck and cut most of it?
If so is resultant open area (or gentle slope) easier/cheaper maintained by pine straw / mulch / bermuda sod?

Or is it better to do a terrace like structure with retaining wall? I guess that is going to cost a lot more.

I have an ad on CraigsList and it has multiple pictures attached to it.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/lbg/3834202703.html

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Craigslist gig post

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for backyard

First, kill all weeds. You must maintain the weed-free condition while groundcover is establishing. (I would kill a couple of times over a period of 6-8 weeks.) Since the area is quite large and mostly sunny, you could hydroseed with Lespedeza if a taller groundcover will work for you. You may need a different groundcover for the shady areas, depending on how much of that there is. I see only disadvantages to using the concrete block edging.

o
RE: Ideas for backyard

Request the answer to 2 questions before posting the method I use for this type of situation when possible.
1. Distance between rear of house and beginning of the red clay slope?
2. Is that a roadway at the top of the slope where I see three telephone poles?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here