Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn_gw

Florida - fast, cheap and 3 feet high

karyn
9 years ago

We have a screened in pool/deck area that **was** surrounded by overgrown bushes (shown) - which we have cut down to the ground in September. The problem is the gardeners kept cutting and chopping them and now they have died off entirely - instead of coming back and then being maintained to low, fixed height. The end result is - we have some dead stumps in the ground now to plant around.

We are looking for a plant that grows no higher than 3-4 feet high at most to line behind the pool "cage". Something inexpensive that we can buy in small containers, but will grow up quick hopefully and fill the area. We are imagining some kind of tall sawgrass or flowering plant but when we go to the Home Depot we have no clue what we're looking at and how it will actually turn out. Inexpensive is key because the area is very large.

Comments (8)

• karyn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is what's there now...

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Most any woody shrub that gets 3' or 4' high will keep on growing, albeit slowly, over time. You might consider creating a hedge of white fountain grass. The foliage gets into the 3' to 4' range. The flowers will get above this, with a wispy, airy effect. It needs to be cut back once per year, but it's an uncomplicated task. Or pink Muehly grass would be pretty.

{{gwi:34219}}

{{gwi:34220}}

{{gwi:34221}}

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 23:58

• bahia
    9 years ago

Here's a clue, don't shop a Home Depot expecting good planting design advice! Full service garden center or nursery, or hire a good landscape designer to consult. Fast and cheap usually correlates to larger mature sizes and constant maintenance, majority of smaller mature sized plantings with year round presence may take more time, or not be cheap. If cheap and fast is the most important requirement, spend the time getting good local advice, and work with a better gardening service that will follow your directives. Even cut-rate gardening services can do a good job if you make the effort to properly communicate, and they are given the time and reimbursement necessary to do the job right. I see these sorts of complaints all the time, and generally know it isn't just the gardener's fault, but unrealistic expectations and too cheap maintenance budgets.

Plant types like Agaves, Bromeliads, Daylilies, Sanseverias, Crinums might fit the bill, they all top out at predetermined heights, but require research to determine initial cost, speed of growth, other characteristics which may appeal or reject them from consideration. Local Florida native plants are worth consideration also.

• karyn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the photos Yardvaark - that really helps - I agree the pink Muehly grass is neat!

FWIW I'm not expecting Home Depot to know anything - it's why I ask here and other places first to get ideas for what plants fit the bill - and then sort ones we like and shop for them - wherever they may be sold. HD is mentioned because they have bulk prices, albeit limited selection.

• rosiew
    9 years ago

karyn, you were fortunate that bahia offered his advice. He's a genius. And a very noted designer. A mix of the selections he mentioned could be a wonderful solution for you.

• karyn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks rosiew and bahia - I was rushing to go out of town so might have been abrupt in my response but all the input is greatly appreciated.

The suggestions thus far have been wonderful - I should further add, we are looking for a quick fix to a certain degree with an eye towards selling in the near future - without doing something entirely wrong in the event we stay. That's where "fast and cheap" comes into play. Clearly if we decide we are in it for the long term we'll be a little more choosy and patient.

Thanks again to all.

• rosiew
    9 years ago

karyn,

I'd like to suggest very good quality plants be used. You'll be running the risk of it looking 'fast and cheap' otherwise. Aim not for full but interesting/appealing.

The bed looks skimpy in the pic. If you give it more depth (remove sod) it could look very nice from the lanai and the yard.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Another shrub that could work well and fulfill the qualifications is firecracker plant, Russelia equisetiformis. It's fairly fast growing, in constant bloom most of the year and self-limiting on height. Use Google Images to see what it looks like. (As mentioned, you need greater front to back depth of bed.) Agaves, bromeliads and especially crinums are going to be higher cost than many of the common shrubs and grasses. Also, use caution with Bromeliads as many take on a sickly yellowish tone in the Florida sun. Sanseveria would have trouble with full sun.

While you're looking for something quick, inexpensive and easy, it would look better if you have a cluster of taller material -- like small palms or large shrubs -- somewhere along the hedge, as an accent to the uniformity. Depending on what, it might be underplanted with something low and colorful

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 11:54