Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeding new yard

Posted by War_Eagle none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 8:47

About to finish new construction on a one acre lot. We tried to plop the house down into the woods so there is a lot of shade. Grass/beds will be needed around perimeter of house (50 feet or so). I have a "do not disturb area" in front of house because of a creek....that I eventually will clean out underbrush and put in some grass as well...but not a priority now. The city requires landscaping to be done in order to get a CO. I have seen some seed (I believe Pennington) that is sold at big box stores that advertises as "partial shade" and another that is "total shade." My concerns: 1. time to get it going 2. If it rains how do I keep the seed in place. My fear is that I would have the ground perfect (rocks/roots gone, flat, etc....) and we have a gully washer that erodes and washes my seed away. 3. Money is an issue thats why I am not calling the local landscape folks to come and lay sod. THE PICS posted are from about 2 months ago.
USDA Zone 8A

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeding new yard

Back of house.

o

View from the street several months ago. With leaves out now you cant even see the house.

o

FYI - turf grasses do not grow in "total shade" regardless of what the package label may say. Some grass types are more shade tolerant than others but total shade? No way!

Not sure where you are located but in my area, summer is the least desirable time to seed a lawn - primarily becasue the cool season grasses that do best in this area want to go dormant in summer and also because you need to water constantly - like 2-3 times a day or more.

But needs must - if you can't wait for a lawn, sod is more advisable but if you can't, you can't. Cover any new seed immediately with a thin layer (1/2 inch) of screened compost or fine soil. This will help to prevent the seed washing away, getting consumed by birds or drying out too quickly. And water as often as necessary to keep seed consistently moist.

o

Have you considered using an erosion control mat?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here