Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
South side of house design?

Posted by karen47401 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 9:17

Ok trying to post picture again. Just joined Flickr. I had posted the other day about what to do with several speciman plants.

From L-R, are:

small lilac bush (I believe it is a dwarf variety)
holly bush (way to close to lilac and going to the neighbor)
bleeding heart (amazing it is surviving here but it is relocating to the north side)
lilac bush

The space is appx 27 feet wide and we would like to cover the meter (behind bleeding heart) and the radon tube if possible.

We were thinking of putting the burning bush in front of the meter and the spartan juniper in front of radon tube but couldn't figure out what to put on either side of those plants that would tie it together. I really don't even know if burning bushes would look right against the color of the house though.

Another thought is to put another lilac in front of meter and globe arborvitaes on the insides of the existing lilacs and the spartan juniper in front of radon tube so it would be:

Dwarf Lilac, Globe Arborvitae, Lilac, Spartan Juniper, Globe Arborvitae, Lilac

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80073773@N02/7168960737/in/photostream

We also have the following plants:

(1) Cardinal Red Twig Dogwood
(1) Spartan Juniper
(1) Moon Glow Juniper
(2) Wine and Roses Weigela
(2) Mugo Pines (accidentally bought the big ones - didn't realize they didn't all stay little)
(1) Dwarf Burning Bush
(2) Golden Globe Arborvitae - may plant these on either side of the air conditioner unit.
(2) Japanese Red Maple
(6) Nemerosa East Salvia
(6) Blue rug Juniper

We have almost half an acre with very little landscaping around yard so any ideas you have for those plants are appreciated too!!!

Thanks all we sincerely appreciate your help :)

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of side of house

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: South side of house design?

Just thought of this too....would the Wine and Roses Weigels work over there (I could get another if needed) but we would still like to work in the Spartan or something with height in front of Radon tube.

Thanks again!!!

o

Can't open the pics,it need yahoo ID.
first upload photo to any photo-hosting site.Photobucket and Flickr are examples . While at that photo on the site,
look for a link to "share." Then look for a way of obtaining "html code" (don't select the thumbnail version.)
Copy that code and paste it directly into your message here.

o

South Side of House appx 27 ft wide

Hopefully this will work. I am not very tech savy!

o

Except the plants, You should add a fire pit,a patio with shade tree,some step walkways too.
Important is all should be some combinations,all the combinations form a clear frame.the frame match your back yard.
Photobucket

o

You've got the space to expand outward so anything you put on the side doesn't have to be clutching the foundation. The Spartan juniper would work in front of the radon tube as long as it's accepted the tube will only eventually be hidden (or a distraction to) from one viewing point.

o

Step away from the foundation. Your challenge shouldnt' just be to figure out which plants to line up along the foundation -- that's just a matter of figuring out growth patterns and mature size.

As Duluth suggests, why don't you think about designing that side of the yard as a whole? Pull things away from the foundation -- make the planting area bigger enough for stagger, depth and layers.

There are a lot of good resources for ideas on constructing mixed shrub borders. Check some of them out.

o

ha ha its funny you mentioned burning bush, that is exactly what I was thinking. The juniper ground cover sounds nice, I would also add a couple of blueberry bushes in there if its not highly visible if you like blueberries.

I personally think a large trellis there with a climbing rose would look spectacular, and would hide the window extension, radon tube, and the meter, killing all three birds with one magnificent stone. You could then compliment the color with 3-5 rose bushes near the burning if they have the same bloom time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here