Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeff7771

Michigan - Landscape Bed against Stone House

Jeff7771
9 years ago

Hello Forum! First time browser, first time post!

I live in Michigan and was hoping for some advise on my front and side landscape beds. The house seems very stark, especially during the winter months, as all the current plants shed their leaves. With the stone house backdrop, it seem like I have the potential to do something really cool here! The front of the house is Northern facing and the side faces West. Neither gets full sun as both areas are shaded by the roof and trees above. Here are my initial thoughts:

1. Remove the rock border in favor of a atural edge border - house seems to "rocky" already, especially in winter.
2. Raise bed with dirt and mulch
3. Leave area to the Left of porch alone - Japanese Maple
4. Front - Areas Right of porch and Side of House: I am open for removing the existing and starting from scratch:

a. Under the address: Definitely going to remove the Rhododendrons under the address in favor of something fuller that keeps leaves (I was thinking Boxwoods).
b. Window to the Right side of address - thinking of cutting this way down so it's not blocking window (not sure what it is, it gets big white flowers on top) or replacing.
c. Rest of RH Front Bed. I do like the idea of evergreen type plants / trees that keep their leaves (I like Boxwoods, Holly) & I think I need some more height against the stone house.
d. Side of house: Need large trees (15-20 ft) in front of both windows for privacy from busy street - probably not something too thick (evergreen) so we can still get the sunlight. I could transplant the tree on the very right side to be directly in front of the window - it is big now (20+ feet). The tree in between the windows, although smaller now, is the same tree. For the rest of this side, I also like the idea of evergreen type plants / trees that keep their leaves (I like Boxwoods, Holly) & I think I need some more height against the stone house, especially on either side of the windows and in between the two windows.

Too much detail for my first post?

Comments (2)