Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjwommack

Help! Front yard is a muddy mess.

Mjwommack
10 years ago

Good morning all! Let me preface this with I am not very inventive when it comes to plantings and yard care, though very willing to put in the sweat equity to beautify if someone offers specific guidance and direction! We recently purchased this home and the front yard needs som TLC. All of the space in front of and to the right of the tree is dirt and mud (when it rains) and the mud runs across the driveway. The tree roots are growing above ground in some areas. I would like to fill in the spaces that are dirty with some sort of rock/crushed stone and a few stepping stones to avoid walking in mud when I get out of the car. The grass to the left of the tree does pretty well. We would also like to continue the look up to the front of the house in that flower bed. I am open to any and all suggestions, and specific names of materials/plantings is appreciated! Kindly, Melissa

Comments (9)

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

What kind of tree is it?

• Mjwommack
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Live Oak

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

That's what I thought. If you put anything loose like gravel, you're going to have to deal with leaves in the gravel and seedlings everywhere. Those things are prolific buggers. What would you think about pavestone? I don't know how long it will be before the roots cause them to shift but at least they can be reset, unlike cement.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

I'd ditch the idea of stepping stones and gravel as it would be temporary and messy. It's not that difficult--or expensive--to form up and place a small amount of concrete and if you used that, you'd have something durable and lasting. Nothing against concrete pavers on a well tamped base so that's another option, too.

Per usual, I'm submitting my suggestions in pictorial form so they're mostly self-explanatory. The returning branches ... I'm showing how they're going to be at the end of summer. Better to cut off some low-hanging limbs sooner than later (since you know it's coming) and get rid of some of the "gloom effect" that the heavy shade produces. For a groundcover, you might look into Calyptocarpus vialis, which goes by several common names. Plants are what hold soil and keep it from washing, so if you used groundcover below the tree in the shady area, you could eliminate the soil washing problem.

{{gwi:34702}}

• Mjwommack
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Yardvaark! This is very helpful. When we go to plant the Calyptocarpus vialis, I am assuming that we should bring in some good dirt and start with that? Then space the plantings every few feet where we can under the tree and they will grow together?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

I'm sure your dirt is good enough. Just kill weeds. Mulch. It will grow together.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

You might check to see if removing and/or covering roots with concrete or pavers will harm the tree.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Fall is the best time if you must really disturb the root zone. Pavers plopped on the soil can't harm the tree unless you paver the whole yard. Concrete over more than 1/4 or so of the root zone will probably be a thing.

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Suggest you just apply lots of mulch to the entire area for now. That will eliminate the muddy soil. The small patches of existing grass should either be killed or covered in cardboard before mulching. A few large containers with colorful plants grouped together would provide interest.

You don't state where you are. For groundcover choices, see what others in your area have planted in similar conditions.