Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In defense of Color

Posted by peachymomo 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 10, 10 at 10:29

I'm a California girl and I have not spent much time on the East Coast so I do not have experience with the look of the gardens over there, but I think they must be very different from ours over here. I live in a rural area and the front yards tend to be full of roses and riots of color. Most have a few fruit trees, and tomatoes and other veggies are not uncommon. Perhaps it is because these are older houses that are meant to be lived in, not sold. The newer developments tend to have easy to maintain cookie-cutter landscapes that I do not like.
I love an old, overgrown garden and don't think they detract from the house. As I drive around town the houses I most admire I can often barely see because of the old vines rambling over them. Wildness and biodiversity are my favorite qualities in a garden, even my vegetable gardens. And I am perfectly happy to tolerate some barrenness in the winter so that I can enjoy a better show in the spring, summer, and fall.
I'm not saying formal, evergreen gardens are bad, I'm just saying that roses and perennials aren't bad either.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In defense of Color

I think most people on this forum will agree with you! I am partial to old English gardens with a very formal feel. I often feel in the minority whenever I post. Informal definitely seems to be the favorite style here! To each his/her own right? :)

o
RE: In defense of Color

It's a matter of climate differences :-) In many parts of California, roses and perennials are year-round participants in the garden, even to some extent in parts of the south and areas of the PNW. In areas that have very defined seasons and cold winters, these aspects are missing for much of the year. A garden based solely on seasonal color provided by perennials, roses or any other plant that goes through a regular period of dormancy is going to look pretty bleak for 4-6 months or longer. An evergreen component is essential.

Evergreen does not have to be formal however, nor is it always boring or limiting in color. Look at some of the conifer gardens that populate parts of the UK for example and you'll find a huge range of colors and a mix of shapes and forms that provide unlimited interest. And nothing formal in design about them :-) Color in the garden is not just provided by flowers - in fact, color provided by flowers alone is pretty transitory and most designers recognize the value of foliage in providing year long color in addition to textural contrast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here