Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Am I just dreaming?

Posted by waitforspring z6MA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 9, 10 at 10:51

Hi,
Don't even know if this is the right forum for this question, but here goes. I have several large rhododendrons that came with the property. Several of them were used as foundation plants and I'm sick of having to prune them to keep them from eating up the windows.
Does anyone think that landscapers or nurseries might be interested in having some of them in exchange for maybe transplanting some for me and if so how do I go about finding the right person?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Am I just dreaming?

• Posted by mjsee Zone 7b, NC (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 9, 10 at 13:11

I don't think large rhododendron will transplant well...but I could be mistaken.

o

• Posted by laag z6CapeCod (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 9, 10 at 22:25

They transplant very well. Where are you?

o

You may be able to post on craigslist and find someone who is willing to do the labor in exchange for plants. And if you don't get any bites, you're not out anything, except the few minutes of your time it took to post the question.

o

Do you have photos of them in bloom? Many of the people who might be interested would want to know the variety or color.

You might also ask at GW's Azalea & Rhododendron forum.

o

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions. I do have pictures of a couple of them in bloom, but have no idea of the names since they were here when we moved in many years ago.
laag, I'm on the Cape too.
Val

o

• Posted by mjsee Zone 7b, NC (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 10, 10 at 14:19

Laag--and that is why I oughtn't to make out-of-zone statements. Here in central NC we have a heck of a time getting large rhodis to "take" anytime except fall. And even then it can be touch-and-go.

o

There have been a couple of threads on the New England forum about moving large rhododendrons. As I recall, they involved heavy machinery and good success.

o

I moved a pretty big one in the very forgiving climate of the PNW: dug it up in the fall with a minimal root ball, left it out of the ground all winter, just loosely covered, and planted it the following spring. It had barely bloomed before I moved it, and subsequent to the move it has bloomed prolifically for two years running!

Timing matters: not in summer!

Craigslist, or your local nursery and landscapers' association might have a classified listing.

KarinL

o

• Posted by laag z6CapeCod (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 11, 10 at 22:03

Click on my name at the top of this post and send me an email if you want me to look at them. I'm in Yarmouthport.

o

Thanks laag. Sent you an email. Hope it works.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here