Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aj23_gw

Sandy wrecked our privacy screen, looking for advice...

aj23
10 years ago

Hi,

First time poster, but have been reading GardenWeb quite a bit the last few weeks. We moved into our new home about a year ago in Long Island, NY zone 7.

Our rear property line (about 125' wide) borders a moderately busy commercial property. Before "super storm" Sandy hit, there was a row of very full Leyland Cypresses about 35' high providing a solid wall across the back line of our property.

Sandy took down 4 of the Leylands and thinned out the remaining ones by as much as 30% - so what was once a full wall has now left us pretty exposed to our commercial neighbor, and all the light and sound that comes with it.

A couple months ago, we had our landscaper put in a row of 10' Thuja Green Giants 8' in front of the Leylands and spaced 6' apart. They seem be taking nicely, and hopefully in 3-4 years they'll provide the coverage we need them to.

In the meantime, I'm trying to brainstorm what we can put behind the row of Leylands. My goal is is have 3 rows of privacy hedging -- the new green giants in the front, the existing leylands in the middle, and something else in the back.

We have about 6' of space between the Leylands and a wood stockade fence. A row of clumping bamboo would probably work nice, but our Town banned it about 1 month ago.

What would some of you recommend? Particularly interested in anything tall, doesn't get very wide and can be purchased and planted at least 12' high.

I attached a picture which shows the gaps I'm trying to fill.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-aj

Comment (1)