Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bay_area_gardener

Paver finishing woes

We recently (about 35 days ago) got concrete pavers installed in our backyard. The problem is that we are not happy with the finishing on the pavers. I am attaching a few pictures to show what the finishing loks like. To me it seems like a combination of "scuff" marks and "eff" but I am no expert. I asked a few landscape guys to look at this and there is no consensus about this issue. Can the experts on the forum give their opinions?

Ideally we want to know what is causing the poor finishing and what if anything we can do to fix this.

When it rains or if I spray the surface with a hose, the finishing looks MUCH better.

Thanks in advance...

Comments (5)

• bay_area_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view of the pavers

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Do not give it another thought and for the time being, stop looking at it close up. All of these marks will wear off in a relatively short time in the normal aging process.

• deviant-deziner
    9 years ago

Looks like a McNear product.
    Send the photo to them or to the supplier and get their feedback.
    Looks like rain or something ( dust, adjacent cement or yard tailings) splashed onto the pavers when they were curing causing the staining.
    The spots may fade in time, they may not. Bottom line is that you are not happy for a product that you paid for and you should at the very least have an explanation of what to expect and potentially what can be done to possibly remedy the problem.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Interesting ... my diagnosis is based on a different premise ... that it is crushed sand (dust) ground into the porous paver surface and "scuffing" of the pavers during the compaction process ... a normal part of the installation process. While it's embedded now, it gradually washes and weathers away. One sure way to tell would be to wash a little of it (in a hidden or less important area -- not front and center!) a with broom dipped in muriatic acid ... with the hose standing by for a quick rinse. If it cleans up, it's just on the surface and will disappear in relatively short order. If it cleans up, I would not suggest washing the whole drive with an acid bath. That will bring on early wear. Just stop focusing on it and be patient.

• bay_area_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback.

It is a Mcnear product. I will try and contact the suppliers and get their take on this.

I will also try and do a test on a small area with muriatic acid.

Till later...