Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmanifest

Foundation planting

Kmanifest
10 years ago

I need some help with my foundation plants along the front of the house. The plants that are in right now are all coming out today so I have a blank canvas, as well as the large tree in the fall. I live in western pa, I think zone 5b. I am looking for suggestions on 2-3 larger shrubs/plants that will line the porch. I will start to expand my landscape design later, hopefully adding perennials next year.

The beds are rectangle 9ft x 4ft, I would like to keep it symmetrical on both sides of the steps. I am not sure what type or how many plants i need on each side. My husband wants an azalea somewhere, but also not sure if that will work.

Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

You'll might not like my suggestion because it is not what you're asking for. I rather like the detail of the lattice at the porch foundation and think that it should be displayed as a positive feature. I wouldn't be bothered by a matched set of annuals at either side of the steps, but I'd limit plantings in front of the lattice to that. I'd like to see the shrubs presently at the sides of the house equalized, which means remove the frontal portion of the hedge at the left. A swath of groundcover at each side of the house (It should be a few feet in width; I can't tell how much space you have,) coming to the sidewalk, would be a good way to help define the front entrance area. A SMALL, multi-trunk tree at the right front would help define the space, offer a "protected" feel and help the house look nestled in/connected. Could be underplanted with dwarf azaleas if they grow in your cold zone. If not, then something else not too tall. Some window boxes near the porch corners could help widen it's smile. My main objection to the way things are presently is the overwhelming nature of the large tree in front. Its low limbs and branches obliterate, rather than frame the view of much of the house face. It would be best to remove them.

edit: I forgot to mention that the grass has acne and needs quite of bit of attention. If the OP could get it to be uniform and weed free, it would make a huge difference in the overall picture. Also, it would help to widen the walk where a bite has been taken out of it.

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 10:52

• Kmanifest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yardvaark, thank you for all of the suggestions!! I never thought of adding a shrub to match the right side of the house, I am definitely going to do that. The tree is either coming out or getting groomed in the fall.

I would still like to add something on the sides of the steps but not sure what to put there yet.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

If the tree is a good tree, it would be an asset groomed. Removing lower limbs ASAP would be to your advantage, instead of waiting until Fall. At either side of the steps (if you must!) what about some low height annuals for some cheerful color? And if you don't like that, at least it buys you 3 months time to come up with another solution.