Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrub/Plant ideas for side of the house

Posted by scott_mackay Upstate NY (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 11:26

Hi!
The south side of our house, some straight 30' or so (most sunny side) is in need of some loving. It is a blank slate and I am laying down pebble stone, about 3' deep, and have no idea what to put in there vegetation wise. I wanted to keep it simple with some nice and low maintenance additions.
It is in the country so I would rather not have anything laying all over the stone so I can better prevent hiding places for critters. I eventually will do something like that for the back (west) of the house, also pretty straight, unadorned, with a deck as the only real feature so simple will be good. Thank you for any suggestions!

-Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrub/Plant ideas for side of the house

Not much to go on. Is the 3' of pebbles against the house and you want to plant something in front of that? How much deeper than the mentioned 3' do you want to give over to planting space? Or, do you want to plant things in the pebbles that stay upright and won't flop over onto the pebbles?

What do you like; shrubs, blooming perennials, evergreens; things that are more likely to be deer resistant?

Low maintenance is a relative term. What are you willing to do to keep things looking "nice"?

o
RE: Shrub/Plant ideas for side of the house

I'd suggest you consider conifers, and look especially into junipers as you are on the sunny sides. I can't decide whether the pebbles will aggravate the heat on the plants through reflection or help to cool the soil for them. Likely a bit of both.

The upright junipers include many interesting ones such as gold cone, a contorted form, and several blue ones like Wichita Blue, Blue Arrow, etc.

Other than this, spruces may also like the conditions; again there are many ornamental varieties that can make for a very interesting display.

Ask over on the Conifers forum for places to shop in your area.

BUT to tell you the truth, many people jump to the conclusion that breaking up a wall requires planting AT the wall. It doesn't, depending on how much yard you have adjacent to the wall. If you have space, plant a tree or some deciduous shrubbery out there, and in many cases, from many angles, it softens the house wall just as well AND keeps the mess and habitat away from the house.

Deciduous shrubs will grow out from any wall reaching for the light, which is why I wouldn't recommend them for a wall planting.

KarinL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here