Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Perfect arches...

Posted by woodyoak 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 21, 10 at 11:49

Yesterday was the local garden tour here. One house had a sort of gothic-looking arch as the entrance to their garden. There were two narrow, pointy evergreen sentinels on either side (cedars I think but I didn't look closely). Beside/behind it was a massive (15-20' tall) cedar hedge - that was clipped (how on earth do you clip something that tall?!) The arch was thickly covered in clematis, which had buds and seedheads but was not in bloom. The owner said she didn't know the variety, only that it was one you weren't supposed to cut back, and that it bloomed blue and white. Even as a green picture, I really liked it.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

The shape reminds me of one of the nicest arbours I have seen. It is located in a very small greenspace beside an old church in the center of town. The church is surrounded by stores and other local businesses and has no yard to speak of. This arbour went up 10-15 years ago. There are wisteria vines starting to grow on it but they have not flowered yet. The arbour was perfect without the vines. It was obviously custom-made to match the church architecture - it looks perfect there. This was not on the tour but I got DH to stop on the way home to get some pictures:

I don't think there's any real point to this thread, other that to post pictures of thet well-designed church arbour...:-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Perfect arches...

• Posted by tibs 5/6 OH (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 21, 10 at 20:14

Those are nice and really emphasis the space. Santa Fe has in the last few years, transformed the old railyard into park/shopping. They have some trellis that are so perfect for the site, relating to the industrial aspect of it. I walked into a bench staring up at the trellises and almost did a back flip, much to dh's amusement and dd's embarasment. They too are planted with wisteria that has not took off yet. They also used the old rail beds well for paths and planting beds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here