Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahmh509_gw

Need help with bare front porch

sarahmh509
9 years ago

Hi everyone! We just moved into our new home in November, and as this is our first summer - we are trying to "liven" up our front porch. I am not sure what color planters to get, where to place, or what flowers to use.

I am also attaching a picture of the whole house - there is a lot of brown cedar shake, and the trim is red, to give you an idea of the bigger picture.

Any help or ideas are much appreciated!

Comments (9)

• sarahmh509
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Front of House

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

With planters, there are many nuances and variables and since you're not offering choices to select from, just give it your best shot. Everything is easily changeable. But get something with some size so it isn't too hard to take care of or look puny with the large plant-free house.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

I can't help but laugh that the whole Front of house shot had a car in front of the question concern!! LOL

I think I would put some uniformed guards in front of the compound. Just kidding, but can you show the front without the SUV in front? Will there be any yard??

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Is there any space between the house and that parking area?
    How much sun does the front door get?
    Can you show a picture of the whole porch - including steps and entry path - so we can see which way people enter?

If you can keep them watered, two LARGE brightly colored pots with plants at either side of the door would look good. Use the formula if a tall one, some fluffy mid-height ones, and a floppy one. Pick according to the sun exposure.

A brightly colored bench against the wall to the left, so people can sit and change shoes, drop packages, or just sit and chat.

A brightly colored outdoor carpet and a couple of chairs if it doesn't block traffic.

• sarahmh509
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your ideas and help! I agree that the second picture was not the best, but it was the only one that was on my phone. I took another picture, am attaching it here. There is some landscaping, and no car blocking the front porch :)

To answer lazygardens questions, the porch does not get much sun, there is a bit of space between the house and the parking area (some bluestone), and hopefully this picture helps more than the first one!

I am definitely looking for some color. I love the idea of brightly colored pots and a brightly colored bench! What color pots do you think would look best? Are there certain brands that are better than others? What types of plants would you put in them?

Thank you again for everyone's responses and ideas :)

• sarahmh509
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, sassafras, there is a yard, it is just behind the parking area - we built on a slope so had to cut into the hill a bit. I agree that the pictures do make it look like a compound lol!!

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

What plants? I live in AZ ... don't ask me.

Pick a color that carries through into your house's accent colors ... basically start your living room and entry decor on the porch.

• sarahmh509
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks lazygardens:) This is what I am bad at - picking out great coordinating colors!

• catkim
    9 years ago

To go with your craftsman look, opt for the largest asian ceramic pots your space will accommodate in a dark red or medium to light blue-green jade color. As a third option, a drab mustard color will work, and possibly stand out a bit more. Looking for examples online, I found awpottery.com, take a look for inspiration.