Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patreesh

Design for japanese maple and conifer garden

patreesh
9 years ago

Garden is approximately 45 feet wide by 26 deep (depth from front to arbor is 18, with another 8 feet behind arbor).
To the right of pictures you can see edge of shed and to left of that there is a weeping crabapple tree. Beginning at serviceberry tree on left side, will be putting in a stream, leading to back of garden, ( in area in front of white trellis , extending up and to left of arbor) installing an approximately 11 x 16 pond.

This will be a pretty much a total overhaul, most everything currently in place will go so I can start from scratch. Will keep a couple of Vanilla-Strawberry hydrangeas. So far plants to be placed include:

Ryussen JM
Orido Nishiki JM
Aureum JM
Sango Kaku JM
Tamukeyama (on edge of pond)
Various conifers. Would like to have at least one larger weeping specimen (larch, etc).
Possible future maples include:

Amagi Shigure
Fireglow JM
Baldsmth JM
Dwarf JMs

Thanks.

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

And your goals are ....??

If the garden is to be an artistic statement (interesting and pleasurable to look at and be in,) then I think you are way too wrapped up in the plants at this stage of the game. It would be better to work out the forms, arrangements, layout and then consult your list of plants to see what would be useful to you in making your dream come true. Trying to squeeze in all the favorites first creates the likelihood that the end result will be jumbled, crowded and possibly disorganized.

Because of the blackness of the shadow areas, the limits of the garden can't quite be seen, but the arbor does not seem to be at the back. I would consider, first, how this would be placed since it's a major element and you are not using it as an entrance, but more like an altar ... which is OK, but maybe it would be better toward the back and less in the center of the garden. Wish you had a better picture that showed into the shadows. I hope you paint the arbor and make it look more refined. (I don't get the mass appeal of weathering barn wood in gardens!)

• patreesh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, since this was the landscaping forum, I assumed it would be understood that I was requesing advice regarding the layout/form of the garden.

As noted in the first line of my original post, the garden extends 8 feet behind the arbor, so the arbor sits approximately 3/4 back. Would be willing to move it - just needs ideas of where to put it. The first list includes the trees I already have to work with. Should have noted the height of the trees at maturity.

Ryussen: 5 to 10 ft high x 5 ft wide - weeping form.
    O. Nishiki: 10 feet high - upright tree
    Aureum 10 feet high - upright tree
    Sango Kaku - 12 feet high- upright
    Taymukeyama - dissectum - weeping form

These will be mixed in with conifers - yet to be purchased.

Am totally at a loss where to start. I'm having trouble envisioning how to place trees/conifers of varying heights and forms, not wanting all shorter things in front and taller in back. I want to keep it simple, mostly using stone/rock as ornamental features.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Please show what is behind the arbor in a better lighted photo. And please take it from the perspective of standing at ground level.

• patreesh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This was taken a while ago. Grassy area in front of trellis, and trellises, are now included in same large garden bed as arbor. Will probably remove trellises too. Thanks.

• patreesh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yardvaark - don't give up on me. Will be happy to supply more photos if needed. Have seen some of your creations - great work.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

no prob.