Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inkognito_gw

Sculpture in the garden

inkognito
11 years ago

Sculpture in the garden is not a new idea. I guess you could call the large stones in a Japanese garden 'sculptures' of a sort, certainly French gardens had them as did Italian and just about every other classical style. I think, with the possible exception of the archetypal Japanese garden and calling stones 'sculpture', there was no attempt to integrate sculpture and vegetation in the way that Michelle's sea horse garden does.I will stick my neck out and say that this IS a new concept and when developing a theme what better way?

This is obviously an attempt to resurrect the thread that was zapped for which I make no apology.com.

Comments (11)

• deviant-deziner
    11 years ago

I like the connection that Tony makes about the modern unification of sculpture with the plantscape .
    I have a few friends who design their sculpture work specifically to work in conjunction with the planting , and vice versa, and I find their sculptural landscapes very engaging.

The work of Suzanne Biaggi and Marcia Donahue come immediately to mind as those who seamlessly weave the horticultural and the sculptural together as one.

Article on Marcia ( she doesn't have a website ) - interesting that they introduce her as a 'hybridizer of art and sculpture ' - http://www.recreatingeden.com/index.php?pid=8&season=03&episode=29

Here is a link that might be useful: suzanne biaggi's sculptural landscapes

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

And then there is Little and Lewis, who create horticultural sculpture :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Little and Lewis

• inkognito
    Original Author
    11 years ago

See gardengal I prefer a bit of restraint myself that first one looks like it was designed online.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Since I missed the initial post before it disappeared, is there a link to the seahorse garden photo available? I do have memories of some steel fish swimming in some quite aquatic-looking succulents that Michelle posted a number of years ago that made a really striking garden bed.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

LOL! I get it, Ink :-)

I agree it is not the look everyone is seeking. The tropical rainforest/jungle look is remarkably popular here whereas maybe not so appropriate in a less water-logged environment. I just find the way the plants themselves are creatively used to become sculpture rather intriguing. But if restraint is what you are looking for, Little and Lewis (and our Thomas Kinkaid-loving friend) may not be the way to go. Giant dinosaur egg spheres can be just a little distracting.

• deviant-deziner
    11 years ago

I'm a huge fan of Little and Lewis ! There is something about the rich lushness of a PNW garden and their art that makes me envious of their climate and ability to sculpt to their hearts delight.

nhbabs,
    attached is the sea horse photo.
    I guess I have had water on the mind for the past few years and have enjoyed working with watery themes. Last year I had a client who thought they wanted a water feature but the maintenance issue just wasn't geared to his busy life so we used vibrant tumbled blue glass in a raised planter and planted aeonium tabuliforme ( looks like a lily pad ) and some juncus to satisify the desire . looks pretty good and I have a few other clients that are considering this low maintenance option. {{gwi:35362}}From May 30, 2012

• catkim
    11 years ago

I love Suzanne Biaggi's big stones, thanks for adding that link! Stone has such presence. Here is a stone "sculpture" I visited last week, said to have been erected in honor of a Viking chief (one of a few theories). This "garden" sits high on a windswept ridge above the ocean. Choice plants include native grasses and yellow-flowering Taraxucum. The 59 stones make a simple, but powerful, statement.

{{gwi:35363}}

{{gwi:35364}}

{{gwi:35365}}

• timbu
    11 years ago

DD, if you have water on your mind, try image-googling "Agnete og Havmanden" for an eerie underwater sculpture in Denmark!

• catkim
    11 years ago

Timbu, I wish I had known about that, I missed the merman with his sons.

• deviant-deziner
    11 years ago

catkim,
    that is a fascinating installation.