Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sculpture in the garden

Posted by inkognito (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 12:29

Sculpture in the garden is not a new idea. I guess you could call the large stones in a Japanese garden 'sculptures' of a sort, certainly French gardens had them as did Italian and just about every other classical style. I think, with the possible exception of the archetypal Japanese garden and calling stones 'sculpture', there was no attempt to integrate sculpture and vegetation in the way that Michelle's sea horse garden does.I will stick my neck out and say that this IS a new concept and when developing a theme what better way?

This is obviously an attempt to resurrect the thread that was zapped for which I make no apology.com.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sculpture in the garden

There was an old article I saw that hinted people were paying more attention to their garden art; a real investment beyond something beautiful or pleasurable. Surely that could be said for the seahorse, sea lions, etc. But I further suspect, these are clients who carry the Financial Times in their briefcases - not their lunch.

Art in the garden is nothing new, but for most, it often doesn't go beyond the cast concrete benches, cherubs, urns, bird baths, decorative fencing, and "charming" children with dresses hiked up to hold even more concrete blossoms. Whatever; the art was placed there to punctuate, divide, delight, fill in a gap nature might have left, maybe even surprise.

o

I like the connection that Tony makes about the modern unification of sculpture with the plantscape .
I have a few friends who design their sculpture work specifically to work in conjunction with the planting , and vice versa, and I find their sculptural landscapes very engaging.

The work of Suzanne Biaggi and Marcia Donahue come immediately to mind as those who seamlessly weave the horticultural and the sculptural together as one.

Article on Marcia ( she doesn't have a website ) - interesting that they introduce her as a 'hybridizer of art and sculpture ' - http://www.recreatingeden.com/index.php?pid=8&season=03&episode=29

Here is a link that might be useful: suzanne biaggi's sculptural landscapes

o

And then there is Little and Lewis, who create horticultural sculpture :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Little and Lewis

o

See gardengal I prefer a bit of restraint myself that first one looks like it was designed online.

o

Since I missed the initial post before it disappeared, is there a link to the seahorse garden photo available? I do have memories of some steel fish swimming in some quite aquatic-looking succulents that Michelle posted a number of years ago that made a really striking garden bed.

o

LOL! I get it, Ink :-)

I agree it is not the look everyone is seeking. The tropical rainforest/jungle look is remarkably popular here whereas maybe not so appropriate in a less water-logged environment. I just find the way the plants themselves are creatively used to become sculpture rather intriguing. But if restraint is what you are looking for, Little and Lewis (and our Thomas Kinkaid-loving friend) may not be the way to go. Giant dinosaur egg spheres can be just a little distracting.

o

I'm a huge fan of Little and Lewis ! There is something about the rich lushness of a PNW garden and their art that makes me envious of their climate and ability to sculpt to their hearts delight.

nhbabs,
attached is the sea horse photo.
I guess I have had water on the mind for the past few years and have enjoyed working with watery themes. Last year I had a client who thought they wanted a water feature but the maintenance issue just wasn't geared to his busy life so we used vibrant tumbled blue glass in a raised planter and planted aeonium tabuliforme ( looks like a lily pad ) and some juncus to satisify the desire . looks pretty good and I have a few other clients that are considering this low maintenance option.

From May 30, 2012

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 21:42

I love Suzanne Biaggi's big stones, thanks for adding that link! Stone has such presence. Here is a stone "sculpture" I visited last week, said to have been erected in honor of a Viking chief (one of a few theories). This "garden" sits high on a windswept ridge above the ocean. Choice plants include native grasses and yellow-flowering Taraxucum. The 59 stones make a simple, but powerful, statement.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

DD, if you have water on your mind, try image-googling "Agnete og Havmanden" for an eerie underwater sculpture in Denmark!

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 23:32

Timbu, I wish I had known about that, I missed the merman with his sons.

o

catkim,
that is a fascinating installation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here