Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing Metal Edging

Posted by baublesbybettie 7- Texas (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 12:31

I've seen reference to a post about this, but I couldn't find it. I am wanting to extend my bed in the front yard. The lawn in front of it is dead and I thought that would be a great excuse to do what I've been envisioning. However, all around the current bed is that steel (?) green edging. I tried digging up part of it but it is pretty stuck. Is there a handy trick to getting it up besides digging a large trench all the way around? Or can I just leave it and cover it with mulch and dirt? I want to get away from the metal edging completely.

Thanks for any help! I'm really new to gardening so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing Metal Edging

Without any idea about what you're going to do, it would be hard to make a suggestion about it, but sometimes the metal edging could be useful for certain separation and retention functions. (In some situations, it is barely or not at all visible when properly installed.) I would complete planning for the whole yard before I chucked it. If you're determined to get rid of it, you might advertise it for free on craig's and someone might dig it out for you.

Other than that, you should be able to pry it out of the ground with a sturdy, long-handled shovel. Excavate a little of it to see how it is attached with metal stakes.

o
RE: Removing Metal Edging

Use a mattock - dig down enough to slide the blade under the bottom of the edging and start prying.

It's a lot of work ... i'd ignore it, and mulch over it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here