Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What bushes to plant near house

Posted by newyard_zone7 Georgia - Zone 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 14, 06 at 12:49

I just bought a house and they have had to remove some bushes to make a repair to the foundation. The repair is done and part of the deal was that they replace the bushes. Now I have to pick bushes. We live in Atlanta which is zone 7. The space is about 2x8 and is between the house and the walk way. It is partly shady. What bushes would you recommend. I think the ones there were boxwoods I would like something that flowers at some point and has greenery the rest of the year. I'm very open to suggestions and am currently considering azaleas, indian hawthorne, or gardenias but am not sure if those are right.

Please post ideas ASAP! Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What bushes to plant near house

• Posted by maro z8 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 14, 06 at 13:23

To start, scroll down to the thread "Front of house gardening" and you'll find a lot to read.

maro

o

Two feet wide is pretty tight though. Anyway to expand it? If not, you might just need to do groundcover there.

Patty

o

Unfortunately, there isn't a good way to expand it. The bush can grow out over the walk a bit. There were very mature boxwoods there that seemed to love the space though so I'm hoping I'll find something else that is prettier that will also be happy there.

I will definitely check out that other thread.

Thanks.

o

Do you have your heart set on shrubs? Perennials or ornamental grasses would fit well in that tight spot. What do you like, the formal, tightly clipped hedge look, or a more relaxed untrimmed plant? What is the soil like? Will you or can you water it? Look into "foundation plantings" here on GW and spend a little time thinking. Just because you ripped out boxwood (probably Japanese hollies, unless they smelled like cat urine) it does not mean you have to put them back.
NN

o

Hmmm...I seem to recall a recent thread (the last month or two) from a guy with a side entry garage that was trying to create a foundation planting in the 2' area between the walk and the garage wall. I seem to remember some good advice given on that thread, but I could not turn it up with a couple searches (it sure would be nice if this site let you order search results by date).

I did come across the thread below that might be of some use.

- Brent

Here is a link that might be useful: Need Front House Advice

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here